Hd problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
my computer froze up, most likely because there was soo much on my hard drive. but when i rebooted it said unmountable boot volume. so i looked through the internet and i found that i should use the repair disks. so i did, i tried chkdsk /r, all it keeps saying is that the disk as 1 or more errors. so then when i rebooted again, it said ntldr not found. so i went out and bought a new 250gb hd. reinstalled windows and everything is running fine. but my question is, can i recover the files from my old drive? should i install the old corrupt hd and try to recover my files? if so how should i recover the files? should i connect the old one as a primary slave then try to access the files, then format it

I doubt it was caused by too much on there, you could try using the command fixmbr in recovery console. It may work, but there are no guarantees that it will.

1. Get yourself a copy of Norton systemworks 2003. Don't install the anti-virus, just the registry repair programs.

2. Get yourself a copy of diskeeper for defragging automation.

3. Get a second hard disk to back your system up to.

4. You can get a USB to IDE adapter or plug your old hard disk as a slave to retrieve data from (provided it is readable). Once retrieved, format it and use it as a backup drive.

i installed the old drive as slave. when i open it i see nothing. but when i go to disk management it says the drives capacity is 37gb. but if i go to my computer it says its only 10mb. i ran GetDataBack Data Recovery 3.02, but it was only a demo. but it did find almost all of the files i wanted back. i downloaded norton ghost last night, so i will try that when i get home later today

You may as well try plugging it in as a slave drive,

It shouldnt hurt your pc. Also try to download a restoration program to recover.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back