HD3870x2, good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin_Capacitor

I am upgrading my videocards soon (i sold my 7950GX2's in august 07, and ive had a 8400GS since). I am wondering if the HD3870x2 would be a good idea - I like the DX10.1 and its 450$ price and the ability to have crossfire and multiple going at the same time. HOWEVER, Like i said, I had 7950GX2's and got burned on that (terrible terrible support). So Im looking for advice - would the HD3870x2 be a good idea? should i wait for the R700? should i ignore dx10.1 and go with nvidia? Thanks!

Edit: forgot to say that i have multiple monitors, and i just found out that Crossfire X can power multiple monitors which is a big plus for me. Thanks again!

I am aware of the 6/8pin connecter issue, and considering this is a 450$ card, an extra 8$ is negligible (my psu has 6pin connectors), and I don't expect to need to OC right away anyway :D

What I *am* worried about is that I will get burned by less than impressive support since this is a dual-gpu card, and that the R700 is right around the corner and will be much better for the same price. Not to mention I'm not totally sure that two HD3870x2's will power 3 monitors in crossfire mode - a huge factor in me considering the HD3870x2 (since the quad crossfire drivers for the HD3870x2 arent out yet).
Thanks for your input!

kpo6969 said:
Not if you want to use the Overdrive overclocking function, actually.

And if you have only 2x6pin and need an 8pin you would need one of these, actually:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=21721

Actually, that's only in the Catalyst Control Center. You can easily overclock with a pair of 6-pin connectors using any 3rd party utility such as this: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/536/AMD_GPU_Clock_Tool_v0.7.html

No need to buy any extra cables and no need to replace your PSU if it doesn't have an 8-pin connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back