HDD led doesnt turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

focus_water

when i boot my computer the HDD light will flash like normal then when it goes into windows it will just stay on and it wont flash or do anything. i checked all the cords and they are in correct.

that cant be good! but it was working fine yesterday and then when i restarted my computer thats when it happened.

It all depends!! Failure due to overload is bad but if it is just the resistor is faulty then the mobo should be fine!!

I can go into reasonably technical details if you want me to!!:)

Basically, the hdd activity is converted to about 3 volts by either 1 or 2 transistors! Transistors generally have a low switching thresh-hold so a high value resistor is used! The difference between on and off can be less that .1 of a volt depending on the switching thresh-hold of the transistor used.
This means that a high value resistor that is faulty or has gone out of spec can cause the problem you describe!
You say it works properly when you start your pc, as resistors warm up their resistance drops and it could be 1 resistor dropping too far which will increase the voltage to the transistor keeping it in the on position!

I hope that all makes sense, it's been quite a while since i did any work with transistors!!!!

yea thanks for that. it all made sense, the finny thing is that it is working again and it is flickering like normal.

Perhaps it was just a bad connection then!!:)

Bad connections can cause all sorts of problems, i just had one that made my graphics slower than a pavilion!!
I fixed it by reseating my graphics card!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back