HDD Regenerator - need help with

Status
Not open for further replies.

nork

Does anyone here have any experience with this program? It is supposed to repair bad hard drives. I have the program up and running right now with a bad 40 gig hard drive. The problem is that it is going very very slow. It has taken a day to go thru only one gig.It shows a whole lot of bad sectors.
I have the drive set up as the only drive on my test pc, which i have set up on a desk, running win xp. Bios sees the drive but fdisk reports no fixed disk, thats why i went to HDD Regenerator, but this is my first time running it.

If anyone has experience with this program can you tell me:

Am i doing anything wrong? HDD Regenerator did identify the drive correctly before i started running the repair part of the program.
I dont have a whole lot of ram in my test machine, would adding ram help?
The program lists a ton of bad sectors but under that list it says "0" for repaired sectors. Does the program itself wait til it has gone thru the entire drive before it begins to repair bad sectors?
Will the program speed up at some point?

Thanks for your help.

Is it a full version or a demo beacuse "If the first found bad sector has been successfully regenerated , then you can use the registered version to regenerate all bad sectors on your hard drive. If the first bad sector has not been successfully regenerated, then replace your hard disk drive as soon as possible."

Also were you trying to reformat the drive with fdisk?

It is a full version. The hard drive is an extra drive that belongs to a friend of mine.

You cant reformat a hard drive using fdisk.
You can format a hard drive using a win98 boot disk and the format command or use win xp home or pro, but fdisk doesnt format hard drives, it only partitions them.
Fdisk is also a good diagnostic. When fdisk tells you there is no fixed disk either the disk is bad or needs formatting. In this case its a bad disk i am trying to repair.
So i had HDD Regenerator, retail version, just hadnt used it yet, was waiting for a bad hard drive to appear to use the prog. I put the ide drive as master\primary in my test unit and the results are what i posted.

Yeah I know about the win98 disc and fdisk. I thought that is what you were trying to do. But yeah after the second post I see what you are doing. Cool beans but yeah I have only heard a few things about that program one being the information I provided.

it took 2 1/2 days to do a 80 gb drive that was damaged
yes all these are slow you can change the start sector if you know where the bad spots are
acronis will show you sectors in hex
it should be faster than 1 gb a day
I use 1.6 dothan 1mb cache 1gb memory at 400mhz bus
58x cd drive

Thanks for the advice and info so far, appreciate it.
Anyone else?

Samstoned, what do you mean by dothan ?

thanks

thats the mobile processor thats on the dev. board
you can now get pc motherboards that support low power processors that where ment for laptops
look at my gallery images you will see the board and heatpipe cooler

Thanks Samstone, for your reply.
Im now ok on the mobile processor, duh, but i went to the gallery and searched for samstoned and it came up empty. Maybe you have to re-up or did i do something wrong? I wanted to see that rig w heat pipe.

For HDD regenerator, I was only using a P3 733 with only 128 mb ram. Do you think it would be a lot faster on a P4, say 1.7 with 512 mb ram? Or just a bit faster. I would expect it would be a lot faster except that there may be a sort of bottleneck or dos limitation. Would you know the answer to that? That answer would apply to pretty much anything run in dos, i would imagine, thats why i am asking, for general knowledge.

Microsoft may want to get rid of dos, but we dont!!!!

I dont believe there arent more people with experience with HDD Regenerator? Really hoping to get more info, but then again i guess i got my answer anyway. Since i have the retail version and there was no repairing of sectors going on, only reporting of many many bad sectors, perhaps the drive is simply beyond repair.
When HHD Regenerator cant repair sectors does that mean the platters are bad or the pcb board? I would imagine its the platters themselves, so outfitting the drive with another pcb board likely wont work in this situation?

Hi,
I tried the HDD regenator on an 8GB Maxtor drive which was not accessilbe at all. It was repaired in about 3 hours, tesed OK using norton disk doctor & scan disk, loaded windows and was found to be working perfectly. I used PII 233 with 96Mb ram.

Can you remember if hdd regenerator went thru the whole disk first to find problems and then fix them or did it fix each sector as it went along?

duh, i forgot to put my serial number in.
All is well now on this part.

I take it that if hdd regenerator says "no disk found" then i am out of luck. this is another hard drive, not the 40 gig mentioned above, but a 10 gig maxtor that i have had lying around.

I dont suppose there is another utility that could help, such as spinrite?
Seems to me if the bios doesnt see the drive there isnt likely a util that can fix that, is there?
I do have the drive set as master and the ide cable connected properly. Its on a test setup that i have that is on my bench, out of the case, so i can just do what i want real fast and easy to check connections and such, so there is no doubt the cable is connected right.

thanks

To Tedster:
Thats why i thought i would ask here, just to make sure. I have read a few other places of people having success with it. On the one hand, a lot of people have trouble with hard drives. For instance, cant get os to install on it, things like that, and a simple fix for that is the "zero write" program that is on the hard drive mfgrs diagnostic program. But they dont know that and so they turn to other resources like HDD Regenerator. I imagine "google" leads them to it, lol. Gee, imagine that!

On the other hand, read above what tomeyn had to say, that says a lot!

I would imagine that HDD Regenerator has its place.

I am going to try again with the other hard drive i have, now that i have the program set up right, lol. I have made a floppy so i will run it from there.
I will post the results seeing as others have taken the time to post here.
However, the 10 gig maxtor seems to be dead as a doornail as HDD Regenerator doesnt see it and neither does my bios. I am gonna try using an ultra 66 cable instead of the standard ide 33 cable, you never know. I have seen with my own eyes where some optical drives want one cable over the other and just wont work. But i dont recall having that issue with ide h drives.

thanks

To Tomeyn:

That h drive that you repaired, you said it wasnt accessible. But was the bios able to see it before you used HDD Regenerator? I am guessing the bios must have been able to see the drive even though it wasnt accessible?

thanks

nork said:
To Tedster:
Thats why i thought i would ask here, just to make sure. I have read a few other places of people having success with it. On the one hand, a lot of people have trouble with hard drives. For instance, cant get os to install on it, things like that, and a simple fix for that is the "zero write" program that is on the hard drive mfgrs diagnostic program. But they dont know that and so they turn to other resources like HDD Regenerator. I imagine "google" leads them to it, lol. Gee, imagine that!

On the other hand, read above what tomeyn had to say, that says a lot!

I would imagine that HDD Regenerator has its place.

I am going to try again with the other hard drive i have, now that i have the program set up right, lol. I have made a floppy so i will run it from there.
I will post the results seeing as others have taken the time to post here.
However, the 10 gig maxtor seems to be dead as a doornail as HDD Regenerator doesnt see it and neither does my bios. I am gonna try using an ultra 66 cable instead of the standard ide 33 cable, you never know. I have seen with my own eyes where some optical drives want one cable over the other and just wont work. But i dont recall having that issue with ide h drives.

thanks
hmm... I suppose in theory it could work, but the cost of trying to salvage an old hard drive makes it seem hardly worth it. Prices are dropping all the time. I think perhaps it would only be useful dollar wise if the drive is just a few years old.

hmm... I suppose in theory it could work, but the cost of trying to salvage an old hard drive makes it seem hardly worth it. Prices are dropping all the time. I think perhaps it would only be useful dollar wise if the drive is just a few years old.

Yeah but what if someone had important info on the old drive? Like the where abouts of the Holy Grail or something! It would be worth it I'd imagine. Plus professional data recovery would be more expensive right? So I think I would give it a shot before taking it to somebody to recover....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back