Heatworks is now accepting orders for its connected countertop dishwasher

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Remember Tetra, the connected countertop dishwasher that debuted at CES back in 2018? The company behind the creation, Heatworks, has spent the past few years refining the design and has finally opened presales.

The revised machine is now capable of washing and drying three full place settings using just three liters (around 100 ounces) of water. There’s no plumbing required – simply load the dirty dishes, fill the unit with water, select a cleaning cycle and turn it on. Once complete, remove the grey water tank and pour out the wash water.

There are five wash modes including standard, eco, gentle, plastic and fruit. Yes, you can rinse produce in this thing.

Heatworks says the portable unit is ideal for small families, renters, dorm rooms, and those living in tiny houses or RVs. Sounds great, right? Well, maybe.

Tetra utilizes a proprietary “first-of-its-kind dosing and multi-chemistry cleaning cartridge system” that’s good for up to 20 washes before it needs to be changed (traditional detergents can’t be used with the system). Heatworks boasts that its cleaning solution, made by BASF, is more effective than standard detergents and is better for the environment, too.

Heatworks notes that the cost per wash is comparable to any other premium dishwashing detergent, but I was unable to find any specific pricing information. Heatwave did say that users will be able to sign up for a cartridge subscription, "so you're always stocked."

Presale pricing is set at $399 with an anticipated ship date of May 18, 2022. All sales are backed by a one-year warranty.

Permalink to story.

I have a full-size dishwater at home, which I never use, because to me washing dishes after eating is like meditation after a good meal, helps with digestion.

And so from my perspective, this thing could not be more useless :)

It's such a paradox that you expect something revolutionary but at the same time you want it to work with existing stuff.

It's such a paradox that you expect something revolutionary but at the same time you want it to work with existing stuff.
It doesn’t have to work with existing stuff.

They invented a small form factor dishwasher, great!

They worked with a company to design a high performance detergent, wonderful.

If they or their partner sell that detergent in a liquid, tablet, powder etc, happy days. Someone else can build a machine that uses it or make a similar high performance soap for those machines, competition will come if the market grows.

However if they sell soap in cartridges that are encoded such that they only work in their machine and the machine is locked to only work with cartridges they supply, that is a hard no from me.

At home I do not want to enter into long term exclusive consumable supply agreements with the manufacturers of my appliances.

Why is it that all these "new" "smart" countertop dishwashers have flashy PR photos showing them washing fruit and vegetables? Like ... does anyone do that? I guess it must have a special mode for it, unless you're actually wanting to cook them? But still, why would anyone do that, and not just rinse them under the sink?

I never use my dishwasher as it’s too big and there are only two of us here. If I put plates in the dishwasher it takes 5 days to fill up and by then it reaks so I just wash up as I go in the sink. I’d quite like one of these but then again I wouldn’t want to remove my current dishwasher as it probably affects the value of the house.

Still, what else could I waste $399 on instead?

I never use my dishwasher as it’s too big and there are only two of us here. If I put plates in the dishwasher it takes 5 days to fill up and by then it reaks so I just wash up as I go in the sink. I’d quite like one of these but then again I wouldn’t want to remove my current dishwasher as it probably affects the value of the house.

Still, what else could I waste $399 on instead?
But the best thing about a full size dishwash is you can put pots and pans in them. One of these counter top units won't even close if you put in 1 medium size skillet.

It doesn’t have to work with existing stuff.

They invented a small form factor dishwasher, great!

They worked with a company to design a high performance detergent, wonderful.

If they or their partner sell that detergent in a liquid, tablet, powder etc, happy days. Someone else can build a machine that uses it or make a similar high performance soap for those machines, competition will come if the market grows.

However if they sell soap in cartridges that are encoded such that they only work in their machine and the machine is locked to only work with cartridges they supply, that is a hard no from me.

At home I do not want to enter into long term exclusive consumable supply agreements with the manufacturers of my appliances.
Why does your comment make me think of printers....

But the best thing about a full size dishwash is you can put pots and pans in them. One of these counter top units won't even close if you put in 1 medium size skillet.
If you have expensive, high quality pots & pans you're going to be handwashing them. Not putting them in a dishwasher.

Why? I have an ultra quality Titanium Ultimate 10 pc set that goes in the dishwasher every time. Dishwasher safe and all that.
Manufacturer recommendation.

Both Circulon and le Cruset stuff is dishwasher safe but they recommend handwashing. I have chefs in my family and they never put their personal, home-use expensive pans or knives in the dishwasher.

Presumably, handwashing just minimizes the abrasion on the surface because you stop when it's clean and that extends the life of the pan.

Presumably, handwashing just minimizes the abrasion on the surface because you stop when it's clean and that extends the life of the pan.
And that is right on. But using a gel detergent fixes that. Unscented and NO lemon with warm, not hot water. 3 years with my original Titanium Ultimate (Hestan Culinary) set and still a mirror finish. Also, no dry cycle, but I never let that run anyway.

It would take essentially the same amount of time to just hand wash three place settings in a sink as it would to load and then service this tiny thing. And what about the pots and pans you cooked the meal in? Or a roasting pan you baked in? Do you have to fill the sink and hand wash all that anyway? Seriously. 3-6 plates, 3 cups and some flatware... if it takes you longer than 4 minutes to wash that, you suck at washing dishes.

In an age when we are trying to lower carbon footprints, energy consumption, packaging, pointless shipping, and needlessly proprietary systems... this company is tone deaf on every front.

Last edited:
Back