Helldivers 2 players liberated a mech factory in record time, causing more server capacity...

Jimmy2x

Staff
Highly anticipated: Earlier this week, the team at Arrowhead Game Studios announced the imminent arrival of mechs in Super Earth's ongoing war to liberate the galaxy. The announcement sent Helldivers around the world into a frenzy. When Super Earth's forces were called to liberate the mech factories on Tien Kwan, the response was far greater, faster, and more explosive than anyone could have predicted.

Players of Arrowhead's hit game have been on the edge of their seats since the appearance of mechs and other vehicles earlier this month. Their anticipation hit fever pitch when the official @helldivers2 X account announced the rollout of the new EXO-45 Patriot Exosuit.

Two days later, players were called to liberate the mech factories producing the suits after coming under sudden attack. The prize for liberating the planet and factories? A new stratagem giving players access to the much anticipated heavy weapons.

The game's player base answered the call with a level of force that wasn't anticipated by the game's development team, CEO Johan Pilestedt, or even by Joel, the mysterious games master of the Helldivers 2 universe. Thousands upon thousands of players descended upon Tien Kwan to fight for their chance to pilot one of the new exosuits as soon as the challenge was announced. Needless to say, there was a LOT of liberty spread in the fight for control of the new weapons. Maybe too much.

According to Pilestedt, the in-game event's response was far beyond they expected, resulting in the planet and factory's liberation much faster than originally planned. While this sounds like a win for everyone involved, the victory wasn't without casualties.

In this case, those casualties were once again players who couldn't get into the game due to load and capacity issues in response to the new stratagem's availability.

According to Downdetector, reports of server unavailability appear to have tailed off on Friday evening and continued decreasing into early Saturday morning.

As the weekend arrives there's no telling if issues may persist, resurface, or if they've been resolved for good. The new server issues came just a few weeks after the game's initial availability issues at launch.

Players who can get into the game have temporary access to a free permit allowing them to call down one mech per mission. Once the permit expires, the only way to access the EXO-45 will be by unlocking the level 25 stratagem for the low, low price of 20,000 requisition (one of the game's currencies). Take advantage of that mech permit while you can, get out there and spread some democracy!

Permalink to story.

I love this ****. Wish I could be winning this hard at life.
I even love the drama about all the meta-talk between developer and the players. nerfed railgun. :joy:

I love this ****. Wish I could be winning this hard at life.
I even love the drama about all the meta-talk between developer and the players. nerfed railgun. :joy:
Honestly, the nerf felt very necessary. The highest difficulty didn't feel hard when everyone ran railgun/shield.

However, the buff to enemy numbers and composition for defensive missions I think they went too far. Can barely clear them at medium levels now. The first Lvl7 I tried it immediately spawned 3 titans (and we lost soon after) lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, was a little annoying seeing the server issues again after they had it pretty solid for a week or 2. Wanted to quickly jump on and try the exosuit last night and couldn't.

Sony reeaally needs to throw money at the backend stuff already and stop being so cheap.

Honestly, the nerf felt very necessary. The highest difficulty didn't feel hard when everyone ran railgun/shield.

However, the buff to enemy numbers and composition for defensive missions I think they went too far. Can barely clear them at medium levels now. The first Lvl7 I tried it immediately spawned 3 titans (and we lost soon after) lol.

I tried a lvl 4 defend on my own this morning. Need 275 kills instead of 150. I was over run by bugs before my turrets and weapon even hit the ground. Usually you get about 20 seconds to hastily set things up before bugs start coming in, but not this time. My first turret I tossed had two bug breaches immediately open and had bugs destroy my turret before it could get one shot off and a bug hole I didn't know opened behind me. I got obliterated in about 10 seconds after landing.

Ran a lvl 7 mission last night, get the SSD and establish an uplink mission. Arc thrower gun works pretty good for us, 3 of us had them. The team of 4 I was in, only had 4 deaths and we just kind of walked through all the bugs.

I tried a lvl 4 defend on my own this morning. Need 275 kills instead of 150. I was over run by bugs before my turrets and weapon even hit the ground. Usually you get about 20 seconds to hastily set things up before bugs start coming in, but not this time. My first turret I tossed had two bug breaches immediately open and had bugs destroy my turret before it could get one shot off and a bug hole I didn't know opened behind me. I got obliterated in about 10 seconds after landing.

Ran a lvl 7 mission last night, get the SSD and establish an uplink mission. Arc thrower gun works pretty good for us, 3 of us had them. The team of 4 I was in, only had 4 deaths and we just kind of walked through all the bugs.
Yup. That's also what I meant by "too far". We didn't have any time to prepare.

I've been trying out the arc thrower more. Very friendly fire lol
But the nerf has been a great excuse to try different combos...

Back