Mechs, recon vehicles, and armored personnel carriers are popping up in some Helldivers...

Jimmy2x

Staff
In brief: Sometimes there's nothing more gratifying than watching an orbital strike decimate its target from the heavens. But even with all of that firepower, there are some notoriously difficult enemies that make liberating Helldivers 2's planets extremely tough. Fortunately, players may soon get some heavy (and heavily armed) reinforcements to help the cause and continue spreading democracy.

The team at Arrowhead Game Studios struck gold when they released Helldivers 2, and for good reason: they released a fantastic game reminding us all that gaming is supposed to be fun. While titles like Call of Duty continue to focus more on selling skins and less on player experience as cheaters and toxicity run rampant, Helldivers 2 brought back a simple, effective recipe. Grab your friends, blow everything up, and don't take it too seriously.

The entire game is set in a living, breathing, evolving universe directly affected by player actions and the game master, Joel. According to CEO Johan Pilestedt, Joel is a real developer who serves as the equivalent of the game's "dungeon master," with direct control over the game's universe and player experience. Players are excited because it seems that Joel, notorious for introducing formidable space bugs and challenges, is now incorporating mechs into the game.

And if the mechs weren't enough, Helldivers look like they might be getting some more mobility thanks to armored personnel carriers (APCs) and other vehicles.

It's likely no accident that clips featuring the mechs, vehicles, and ensuing carnage continue popping up across social media platforms and generating more excitement around the already successful co-op shooter. At launch, the game was a victim of its own success, unable to cope with the massive player count that wanted to lock into their Hellpods and drop into battle. The company did a commendable job of communicating with its player base and staying active during the incident, which undoubtedly helped to retain the initial player base while fostering trust with current and potential players alike.

Since then, Arrowhead has successfully increased capacity and introduced measures to ensure idle players could not simply occupy server space indefinitely. It allowed players to once again access the game and spread democracy across the Helldivers 2 galaxy while allowing Pilestedt and the team at Arrowhead to focus on expanding upon the foundation they've built.

According to Pilestedt, player participation and feedback will continue to be a major factor in the direction of the Helldivers 2 gameplay experience. And with all of this new firepower on the horizon, it looks like there's going to be a lot more freedom delivered across the galaxy.

Permalink to story.

Still some lingering bugs in the game, but it is helluva good time. The chaotic mayhem that comes from all directions when you're playing the higher difficulty is nuts!

Constant orbital call downs, constant warbird strikes, grenades, rockets, landmines....!

I think I die more by teammates than I do by bugs, but it's a blast. I'd love to see how heavy armored vehicles might play a part in the game once they actually get into player's hands.

It's a great way to test the new stratagems, and excite the player base.

I think I die more by teammates than I do by bugs, but it's a blast. I'd love to see how heavy armored vehicles might play a part in the game once they actually get into player's hands.

Prepare for more team kills. APCs accidentially running over other players or even running over its own driver (since the driver can jump out of the vehicle from the front windshield into the path of the still rolling APC) were common from what I remember in Helldivers 1.

CoD is a good game, but support is garbage. It's almost mandatory to cheat in order to be able to play. Cheaters killed it for me. Every fckin match, every time, till you just don't bother anymore. As for Helldivers2, amazing game. Haven't even heard of the first one, like most people, but I'm having a blast. An orbital blast!

Waiting for air carriers to dive in...

Also there's drones in Helldivers 2? You could seat inside APCs and use air/walking drones... Would be interesting.

Back