Help a computer newb build a new system plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godhand456

Hi guys

was given ur forums link from a friend of mine and said u may be able to help

First off let me say I am a computer newbie. My current system I bought back in 2007 and my cousin purchased all the parts for me on newegg.com and then he came over and built it for me. I think it costed me a whole 1500 or so but it was a great system.

I am looking to give this current system to my step son and wish to purchase a whole new system including monitor and keyboard etc. I would like to stay under 2000 dollars.

I plan to use my system for strictly MMO gaming. I play WoW at the moment but with several new MMOs coming out this year, I want a tip top system that will be able to play those new games on high settings without too much choppiness.

Now sadly I dont have access to my cousin anymore to built my computer or pick out parts for me (he is out of state at college). So i come to the community to help point me in the right direction. I would like to just buy a whole "put together" system already but it seems that costs more for a weaker system. Can anyone help me with parts, or even a whole system?

If I have to build it myself, can anyone show me a respectable site that can maybe teach me how to put a system together? I would be thankful. Thanks for reading

This would be a pretty solid system (excluding the monitor / keyboard / mouse):

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz - $199.99
MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 - $159.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 - $104.99
XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB - $419.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - $99.99
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout - $79.99
Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $79.99
Sony Optiarc AD-7241S-0B - $26.99

Total - $1171.92

As for building the system by yourself, just follow the instructions on the motherboard manual carefully. You should not encounter any problems. If you have any other queries feel free to post. :)

Ritwik's system build is a good starting point.
I would probably go with the Gigabyte P55A-UD3P ($158 inc ship.) for the USB3/SATA 6Gb connectivity though.
Monitor : Samsung P2450H Rose Black 24" 1920x1080 ($270, free shipping)
Mouse: Razer Naga MMO mouse ($87 inc ship), or the Logitech G500 ($42 inc ship) for something a little more conventional
Mousepad (if required): OCZ OCZMPBMRG Behemoth Regulator Mousepad ($16 inc ship)
Headset: Sennheiser PC131 ($48 inc ship.), or Razer Cacharis ($88 inc ship...seems a little pricey)
Keyboard: You can't go past the Logitech G15 ($75) for gaming-just a pity that the first edition (blue backlight) is very hard to find. Having both versions I would recommend either, but personally prefer the earlier one.
Speakers (if required): Behringer MS20 ($117 inc ship)
Soundcard (if required): HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 ($90, free ship)
Surge Protector (if required) : Cyberpower 1080 ($25)

Ritwik7 and dividedbyzero gave excellent suggestions. I have to second dividedbyzero's choice of monitor. Samsung are superb. I have their SyncMaster 2494 myself.

As for the HT Omega sound card it is great to see someone else know and suggest these offerings. The reviews have been outstanding and unlike Creative they diligently make sure their drivers are up-to-date and functional for the various Windows OS including Windows 7 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back