Help choosing CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to decide between an Intel Pentium D 945 and a Pentium 4 650. Will the Pentium D run single thread apps much slower than the P4? I do a fair amount of multi tasking with large programs such as DreamWeaver and Photoshop running at the same time but also play a fair amount of games such as Flightsim X. I do not do any overclocking, just the stock processor. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Whats your socket type? If its 775 then i would get a core 2 duo. Also whats your price range? You can get an e6300 for under $200

Hi t_man75 and welcome to TechSpot :)

given those two choices I would recommend the Pentium-D 945. in single threaded apps it will perform almost equal to the Pentium-4 650. but when multi-tasking, the pentium-D 945 will clearly take the lead.

that being said... If your motherboard supports the Core-2-Duo series, then for about $20 more you could buy a E6300 Core-2-Duo which will run circles around both Pentium-4 650 and the Pentium-D 945

BTW twite, the Pentium-4 650 and Pentium-D 945 are socket-775 processors ;)

Cheers :wave:

Thanks for the welcome. My motherboard will support the Core2. I guess I never thought the core2 1.86GHz would out preform a PD 3.4GHz.

My last build the P3 866 just came out so I'm a little outdated on CPU's

clock speed doesn't matter. the CPU architecture determines it's performance.

for years AMD's Athlon64 and Athlon64-X2 series processors have been outperforming Pentium-4's and Pentium-D's at much lower clock speeds.

currently the Intel Core-2-Duo is the performance king. it outperforms all other desktop processor models currently available from AMD and Intel.

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back