Help: Computer Screen Flickers/flashes Every Sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hileni

i don't really now what caused this problem but since about 2 weeks ago, my computer screen has been flashing every 5 seconds when this is going on, the documents on the screen (my computer, internet, recycle bin, and the bar at the bottom) would disapper and appear back again, so when i try to open up my documents and the screen flashes/ flickers it will close so i can't really open up any documents except the internet...can someone please help me with this problem?
Thank You

What monitor and video card do you have? (the monitor should say on the back; for the video card, go start-->run, type in control, click on 'Display,' click 'settings' tab, and it should say something like "some kind of monitor on some kind of video card").

Is your monitor cable plugged into your computer correctly? If you jiggle your monitor, does it help temporarily?

--kitty

Try starting your PC in safe mode to see if the flickering stops. If so, check the screen refresh rate. If it's an LCD, try setting it to 60Hz. If that doesn't solve it, try uninstalling the old graphics driver and install a new one. Something may have corrupted the old one.

kitty500cat said:
What monitor and video card do you have? (the monitor should say on the back; for the video card, go start-->run, type in control, click on 'Display,' click 'settings' tab, and it should say something like "some kind of monitor on some kind of video card").

Is your monitor cable plugged into your computer correctly? If you jiggle your monitor, does it help temporarily?

--kitty

it says that my monitor is dell M770on Matrox Graphics Productiva G100 AGP i don't necessarary know what that means but i know that this computer is a couple of years old but thank you

try uninstalling the old graphics driver and install a new one.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/MATROX/MATROX-Productiva-G100-Driver-552015.shtml
This site has your video card driver on it; I never installed a driver, though, so someone else will have to help you w/that, if that's the problem.
As mailpup said, check the refresh rate on your monitor and set it to probably 60 hertz (go start-->run, type in control, click display, click settings tab, click on advanced button, click on monitor tab, check the box that says "hide modes this monitor cannot display" if it is unchecked, and choose 60 hertz)

but yeah, it could be video drivers too...or maybe a bad video card, because it only started like 2 weeks ago, not before that.
--kitty23.36^2cat

i checked the refresh rate and it was already on 60 Hertz so i guess its the video card driver
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back