Help finishing off my build

builder-inator

So I nailed down which build might be good for me. I'm going to play games like MineCraft, Crysis 3, Skyrim etc, I'm going to be browsing and just normal working.

So this is what I found(the parts that aren't there are the parts that I don't need):

CPU: AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer Series CPU - 4.2GHz Quad(4) Core, AM3+ Socket,12MB, HyperTran

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Pro AMD 970/SB950 ATX Desktop Motherboard

Memory: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866MHz CL9 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB

Video Card: need help with this one

Power Supply: Corsair CX600

Now my budget is under $500. I need a graphics card with a VGA port(obviously as the motherboard doesn't have one, no I don't need HDMI). It totals up to $430 in South Africa (where I am, I don't want international items) I found all these parts outside South Africa, then looked for them

Kingston HyperX is very good memory but you don't need the 1866 version for what you are doing. 1333 or 1066 should do you fine and they are probably cheaper.

I've continued my search and I have an updated list however, I was wondering if I could find a cheaper PSU or motherboard with the same specs. I need more money for this RAM

CPU: AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer Series CPU - 4.2GHz Quad(4) Core, AM3+ Socket,12MB, HyperTran

Motherboard: MSI AMD 970A-G46 970 Chipset

Memory: G.Skill F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL RipjawsX 1x8GB DDR3-1866 MHz Desktop Memory

Video Card: PowerColor AX7770 1GBD5-PP2DH Radeon HD7770

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430W Power Supply - 80PLUS Certified

NEVER go cheap on the power supply. It is the backbone of a system. If I had a dollar every time someone has issues due to spending serious money on hard ware while going to cheap on a power supply and then having issues due to a cheaper power supply I could retire very rich.

Besides, that power supply is highly doubtful it will give the power you need. Why? Well that video card alone needs a minimum of a 450 Watt power supply as per manufacture's specs. Second it is PCI-e 3.0 card and your motherboard is limited to 2.0. Third, it may have 3 gigs of DDR5 but it only has a 128-bit interface. A 2 gig card with a 256-bit interface 2.0 will be considerably cheaper and not be a waste of money.

Also, you can game very well with 4 gigs of RAM. G-Skill makes great memory but, again, you really don't need 1866 MHz RAM unless you plan on overclocking it.

I checked everything on pcpartpicker.com and made sure the compatibility filter was on. OK never mind I know nothing you are obviously smarter than me in this so what do you advice? Staying in the budget of course

First, where will be buying these components from? If we can get on the same page that way we can move forward together. I can get a few other TechSpotters to join in and we'll put together a fine system.

Link us and we'll take it from there. If I don't answer you in an hour to half a day I am not ignoring you. :)

The Corsair CX430w is a good low cost power supply and will be more than enough.

I'd suggest the AMD 750K if it's a lot cheaper there like it is in the US, and switch out an appropriate motherboard. It's also a really great overclocker.

Put the money instead into a 7850 or 650Ti.

You're also going to want 2x4GB or 2x2GB of RAM.

Also, AFAIK expanding the bus size (ex 128-bit to 256-bit) is actually rather costly and that's why you see cards with quick GDDR5 memory and a smaller bus.

The Corsair CX430w is a good low cost power supply and will be more than enough.

I'd suggest the AMD 750K if it's a lot cheaper there like it is in the US, and switch out an appropriate motherboard. It's also a really great overclocker.

Put the money instead into a 7850 or 650Ti.

You're also going to want 2x4GB or 2x2GB of RAM.

Also, AFAIK expanding the bus size (ex 128-bit to 256-bit) is actually rather costly and that's why you see cards with quick GDDR5 memory and a smaller bus.

Do you have any links? That would be great

I am really confused because I don't know much about these things as you here do and because at another forum someone said this is fine

The only reason I said "no" was because your video card manufacture stated in the build specs it needs at least 450W power supply. But if others are saying it is fine I won't argue.

AMD Athlon IIX4 750K
Corsair Builder Series 430W
ASUS GTX 650 TI O 1GB DDR5
G.Skill F3-1600C9D-8GAB 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600MHz
Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2

Did not look for the lowest prices.
If you find some cheaper power supplies around the 450w range, I can look at them but these sites have poor organization so I'm having a hard time seeing what is actually available.
The same goes with the 650Ti, and 2x4GB of RAM and motherboard.
As a comparison, US prices would be approximately:
AMD X4 750k $80
Corsair Builder 430w $40
GTX 650Ti $139
2x4GB 1600MHZ RAM $50
AMD FM2 motherboard $80

So is this fine? I have passed my budget a little but I can make up for it

CPU: AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer Series CPU - 4.2GHz Quad(4) Core, AM3+ Socket,12MB, HyperTran

Memory: G.Skill F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL (1x 8GB) DDR3-1600MHz 1.5V CL9 Ripjaws Desktop Memory

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430W Power Supply - 80PLUS Certified

I can't find a slower RAM

500 bucks and outside the UD, let me see if I can throw my hat in the ring and give you some more choices!

Heres my suggestion (Note I took this off of the South Africa Amazon since that's where you said you were)
Saphire HD 7870
Cooler Master 600Watt
Corsair Vengeance Blue 1x4gb (Note put 2 of these in the car to get 2x4 to get what I recommend)
AMD FX 6300
MSI AM3+ 970

The total cost for this is $497.19 which seems to be in your budget. The processor being a new generation and a 2 more core version will offer much better performance than that of the bulldozer 4170. Also the HD 7870 is significantly higher than the HD 7770. This build will do pretty much all you could want to do with good FPS.

"
[FONT=Arial]Important Messages[/FONT]

This item cannot be shipped to the address you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping address or remove the item by clicking Delete.
This item cannot be shipped to the address you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping address or remove the item by clicking Delete.
We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

So is this fine? I have passed my budget a little but I can make up for it

CPU: AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer Series CPU - 4.2GHz Quad(4) Core, AM3+ Socket,12MB, HyperTran

Memory: G.Skill F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL (1x 8GB) DDR3-1600MHz 1.5V CL9 Ripjaws Desktop Memory

I can't find a slower RAM

I would recommend cutting the CPU back to a AMD Athlon X4 750K. Change the motherboard to an FM2 platform. Also, change the RAM to 2x4GB. That should be a good build.

Sorry guys for the late reply, I was going through all your lists. I should have told you all what I need. I need 8GB of RAM, I need Quad or more cores and I need USB 3.0 also something that will last long. Thanks buds! :)

With $500 you cant really get a rig that will be future-proof. I recommend getting a AMD FX6350 over the 4170.

I could just get 4GB now and another later. But won't that decrease my gaming performance( because I would have to downgrade my video card)

If you go with my Intel build, you can upgrade to a quad-core Intel processor in the future. It will be a better investment compared to an AMD-centric build.

It's your prerogative, however, if you'd absolutely require a quad-core processor now.

I still stand by what I posted, I mean for 500 bucks and you have all the other parts, that config was better, however it seems the shipping area was the issue correct. I would suggest trying some different parts that will ship (Same types you know) and trying to match things up.

Why do you need a quad core? What are you going to use your computer for?

The AMD Athlon II X4 750k is a really good budget CPU but options like the i3-3220 and 3240 are a bit better for gaming, especially for SC2.
Otherwise you could step it up to something like a 3350p is quite a powerful quad core if you're not going to overclock, and it's also a fair bit more expensive.
So can you explain what balance of CPU performance and gaming performance you need?

And having only one stick of 4GB of RAM will effectively half the speed of the RAM until you add in the other half of a pair; for some things, this is negligible but for others it can make a difference.

Back