A broke tale on my path to 1950x

Jollyriffic

So the vast majority of what I do to make money, is usually tech related working for donations. Like "hey I can help, if it resolves your issue consider donating on paypal".
I live a pretty broke life, and I'm completely fine with that. I don't need "things" but the things I do have are usually pretty expensive or would have been expensive had I not built them myself.
So around april or may, I was dog/house sitting for an friend of mine. I almost never shut off my computer, so went to bed and work up to a dead computer. later I found out her roof leaks and I think that was the culprit.
Prior to this I had sold my 7950 gpu in prep for amd to launch vega, but they gave us refresh cards. So I haven't been gaming for around 9 months.
I've been wanting to get into a lot more 3d work, video editing, content creation, etc. Mostly focused on gaming, streaming, and content creation, like videos on helping those people out. I do a lot of one on one, but doing videos would be far better usesage of my time than stating the same crap in different ways to tons of people.
So I said lets build a computer that simply wouldn't need an upgrade for ages. I was saving up for the 1700x/1800x I got to that goal combining what I was saving for a gpu. so I figured lets grind more and go to threadripper. got the money for the motherboard and cpu.
I started contacting manufactures telling them what I plan to do, that I have like 18k following without tweeting or really creating any content. crucial was kind enough to send out their ballistix elite ram and figured well maybe others will cover some of the expenses, spoiler: out of maybe 90+ emails sent, I've had 5 max response. of those 5 the others have said they are really intrested then ask for some additional information and then ghost on me. As it stands, only one that has flat out said "no" was seasonic, they are more concerned in your numbers but they will blanket into the email about having knowledge about being able to actually test a PSU. After I told them my electronic background then they said in short that my numbers aren't big enough.
This is sort of what I figured, some companies are aware that mico-influancers are far more effective than large channels, most however have no clue. I mean where would blue microphones be without sending out all their mics to so many no-names on youtube, now you almost cant click a link without seeing them on youtube or twitch.
So, I bought the 1950x, asrock pro mobo, got the crucial ram, and was hoping my ebay would fund the gpu but ebay has been selling pretty poorly the past couple months. even with lowering all my prices to about 1/4 the retail value. Since all this stuff came in, I have about $50, so today I poked around on facebook groups and was able to get a gtx 560ti for $20, sucks, but not much you can do with $50 in the GPU area.
I was so focused on the GPU, I completely forgot about a cooler. In the back of my head I was thinking "oh well the h100 from my i7-3770k will be my cooler". there's no bracket that works with it, at least that I know of. their bracket is part of the base unlike the updated design that twist/locks on. The cheapest option looks to be $65..
I said before I dont mind being broke, till it comes to something like this where I have to sacrifice on parts or wait till things sell so I can get the things I need.

So at some point I'll make what I need, upgrade the gpu, try to get a full cooling loop like the EK block for the x399 platform, and likely upgrade the PSU as all I have for it is a 520w seasonic.

One thing that did suck, after buying the 560ti someone hit me up about a 750 for $50, I would have loved to save 100w on the gpu.

So that's sort of a venting post.. I'm the only geek I know, so telling anyone I'm friends with would gloss over after hearing 1950x or threadripper.. Or understand the struggles of overlooking something when it comes to computer builds and things.

Back