1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Help For Using Pc For Music

By cardantom
Apr 23, 2003
  1. any help greatly appreciated,im thinking of using my pc to play music in my local as its easier than carrying loads of vinyl,but are unsure how to connect pc to speaker system in local which is jack plug orientated,if specific soundcard required which one.

  2. olefarte

    olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,345   +13

    I'm not quite sure what you are talking about, but I'll give it a try. You will have a least a "audio out" or "line out" plug on the back of you're computer. I think you are saying you want to use something other than a computer speaker system, if this is the case, you will need a stereo mini plug adapter that y's to two RCA type plugs, these will then need to go from your computer to an input on an external amp, you will then need to hook your speakers up to the amp. If this is not what you have in mind, let us know. Depending on what features you need, if you just want stereo sound, and no effects, you don't need a specific sound card.
  3. Rick

    Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,572   +65

    You can also get a miniplug Y adapter. This gives you the ability to plug in a mini-headphone plug into your computer, and splits the plug into right/left RCA jacks... These are used for VCRs, TVs and many recievers.
  4. Strakian

    Strakian TS Rookie Posts: 136

    That's exactly what I did, here's what you need to do.

    You're receiver/Stereo CD Player needs to have an audio in (usually aux in), complete with left and right channels (red and white) that connect using the Y adapter to plug into your soundcard output for the speakers.

    Next just configure the receiver/CD Player to use auxillary input and you should be hearing everything through your speakers connected to the receiver.

    Not terribly complicated as long as the receiver has what you need. If it doesn't but you still want to set it up this way ( i recommend it for users of onboard sound and cheap-o sound cards, gives it more oomph) You can buy a decent stereo CDPlayer or receiver from Best buy or radioshack. Just make sure it has the aux in jacks in the back!

    The Y adapter can be found at Radioshack.

    Hope that helps! :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...