Help overclocking RAM & CPU and finding best compromise

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeps1987

hey all,
I'm pretty new to overclocking, but i know the basics, i have only ever overclocked my CPU, not my RAM to match, which I'm assuming hits performance, I'm hoping to change that with your help :D

Basic Specs:
Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0 @ 3.96Ghz (440 X 9) (Watercooled)
OCZ Reaper 8500 1066Mhz (4 X 1GB Sticks) with additional cooling
ASUS Blitz Forumlar DDR2 P35 (Watercooled)

iv heard that quad cores use more bandwidth, so a higher FSB is preferable, so I'm thinking of trying (500 X 8) giving me a CPU speed of 4Ghz

but now it gets confusing with the RAM, do i got for all out max Mhz or tighter timings? or compromise with both?

any ideas or suggestions, i don't mind loosing some of my CPU speed if it
increases overall performance, i just want the CPU and RAM to work well together, i dont mind underclocking/overclocking either

Thanks in advance

thanks for that, iv been browsing through, but most of the guides seem to be really out of date, and i was hoping to get advice for my particular hardware setup.

hey yeah at stock its 1066Mhz

but heres a screenshot of it when its overclocked and running a 4Ghz CPU

4005Mhz.jpg

So you have an fsb of 1780, hmm at 1066 you're way OCing the Ram. Shouldn't you be running DDR3-1800 or 3/5 ram ratio?

Ok so maybe you could help me understand this better.
You have an fsb of 445, so quad pumped databus gives 4X445=1780 resultant fsb. Now what I thought I understood was ram is rated at maximum input freq, so DDR2-1066 should be sitting on a resultant fsb of 1066, which is 1066/4 = a core fsb of 266.

But what you're saying is 1066 is (by DDR) really 1066/2=533 core fsb, so that 533X4=2132 resultant fsb. So you're running 1780, well within 2132 max? But then why bother using 5/6 ratio?

what kind of motherboard are you using? Some have an option to unlink the cpu and ram. That way you can overclock the cpu without over clocking the ram to start out with.

kirock said:
Ok so maybe you could help me understand this better.
You have an fsb of 445, so quad pumped databus gives 4X445=1780 resultant fsb. Now what I thought I understood was ram is rated at maximum input freq, so DDR2-1066 should be sitting on a resultant fsb of 1066, which is 1066/4 = a core fsb of 266.

But what you're saying is 1066 is (by DDR) really 1066/2=533 core fsb, so that 533X4=2132 resultant fsb. So you're running 1780, well within 2132 max? But then why bother using 5/6 ratio?

yeah that is my current overclock, but i want to get my CPU to run at ~500FSB with X8 Multiplier, and iv read that keeping memory at a 1:1 ration with the FSB is best, so i dont mind lowing my FSB a bit to bring my RAM inline.
I had to use the ratio because my CPU is running at 445FSB and RAM at 528FSB. (it was be ~500FSB)
i think 500FSB is the highest my Motherboard can take, and my RAM can overclock too 1200Mhz, or so iv heard, so any recommendations?
Is a FSB:RAM ratio of 1:1 best?
Is a higher RAM speed better than tighter timings?

mica3speedy said:
what kind of motherboard are you using? Some have an option to unlink the cpu and ram. That way you can overclock the cpu without over clocking the ram to start out with.

its a ASUS Blitz Forumlar DDR2 P35 and i want to overclock/underclock my RAM to get the best out of my system as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back