Help to properly set up a dual XP boot system

I've been trying for a while now to set up a dual-boot system and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

My goal is to create a dual boot system with XP twice. The reason is to create a backup system I can switch to easily in case of drive failure or infection.

I have two hard drives (partitions C, D, and E on one drive; F and G on a 2nd drive).

I recently had a rootkit and did the full reinstall thing onto C:. I've installed most of my oft-used programs and have configured it the way I want. I used DriveImage XML to do a Disk-to-Disk copy of C: onto F:. Now I want to set it up so that, if I ever need to I can switch which drive I boot from and quickly boot from F: instead of C:

Somehow, before doing the clone, my boot.ini has the idea I already have 2 OS installs, one called XP Professional and the other XP Backup. XP Backup has never been able to load. So anyway, when I try to switch from my main HD to the backup HD, it hits the boot.ini, displays the "Choose your operating system" line and just hangs there.

Any ideas how to fix this so I can have a proper backup?

Thanks!

I would suggest doing 2 seperate XP installs.

Install XP on one hard drive, and then restart and install XP on the second HD. I Don't know how imaging a drive effects the boot loader or if it does at all but I would suggest doing 2 seperate installs to see if that works properly. It is a little more tedious because you need to do drivers and updates twice, but doing the image of one disk to another HD might have something to do with it.

Back