Help With Diagnosing What Is Wrong With My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormShriver

Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with a dell laptop I purchased refurbished off from Ebay.

First, the Dell Service Tag for the computer is : 3NWNW31
Second, the express service code is 21036625453
Third, I am running windows XP Professional on it

I bought laptop from third party (Ebay). I inspected the model and found out that the model of computer I bought may qualify for a battery replacement due to faulty manufacturing...but after inspection I found that the battery replacement does not apply for my battery serial number. My computer is an Inspiron 1560, yet the service tag refers to a D600 system…unless perhaps they are one in the same and just called different names. My problem is that the battery will not charge (it holds a charge), but the AC adapter that was provided seems to not be charging the computer. But I had a neighbor (who has a more recent dell laptop) take the AC adapter and use it on her computer and it appeared to work just fine. This leads me to possibly believe that something is wrong with the power supply component internally within the computer.

I really need some help with this issue. The battery is healthy (I checked using diagnostics) and it does indeed charge...when I wiggle the cord and stuff. So since it charged my friend's computer and not mine I am assuming that something is not connecting correctly internally. I await your response!

-Storm

Hi..
It sounds to me where the power plugs into the laptop to charge the battery has a faulty connection.
I have read similar situations such as yours.
If this is the problem I hope it is not too costly to repair.
I suggest finding a very honest repair tech that can diagnose and correct the problem.

Good Luck and I hope it goes well for you.

Rick

Thank you for your help!!! I believe that the problem is the DC connector on the motherboard, so I will probably just try to purchase a new one or something. Thanks!

Check inside, a couple of spots of solder on the motherboard might cure the problem. The solder holding the power jack to the motherboard sometimes cracks causing this problem, there's maybe nothing wrong with the jack itself.

Gently move the charger plug from side to side and up and down while watching the "on battery" icon on the toolbar to see if it changes to "on mains". On the bottom of the laptop is the model no. PP10L?

I don't know....I can't find my model number. Where is located at?

Nevermind...the model number of the system is Model No: PP08L

No problem, there is a common fault with the PP10L motherboard to do with charging and running on mains, I just wondered if you had the same, I thought the D600 used that board. I would say all you need to do is to resolder the powerjack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back