Help with exchange Server on Home Network and IMAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

maradms4

Hi,

Is it possible to use exchange to pull in web based emails (aol, hotmail) and then deliver those to outlook clients on my home network. I do not use a domain (use peer to peer) but could do if required.

Any help greatly appreciated.

EDIT - I would like these emails to be treated like regular pop3 emails, i.e not having the usual IMA in Outlook trappings such as deleted emails appearing with a line through etc...

To cut a long story about Domain Controllers, Catalogue Servers, Active Directory, DNS, WINS, Windows Server edition, IIS.... short.

The answer is No.

Think of this:

If Mr A sends an email (mrA@yourdomain.com) to Mr B (mrB@hotmail.com)

The mail goes to HOTMAIL.COM and is authenticated at Hotmails email server. Not yours.

How could it possibly go to your mail server when hotmail have the domain (domain as in Domain Controllers/Networking/AD - not web domain) name hotmail.com ?

Exactly, it cant.

You should just configure POP forwarding from your chosen web based email to Outlook and stop all this nonsense about Exchange for a Home Network.

meatologist said:
To cut a long story about Domain Controllers, Catalogue Servers, Active Directory, DNS, WINS, Windows Server edition, IIS.... short.

The answer is No.

Think of this:

If Mr A sends an email (mrA@yourdomain.com) to Mr B (mrB@hotmail.com)

The mail goes to HOTMAIL.COM and is authenticated at Hotmails email server. Not yours.

How could it possibly go to your mail server when hotmail have the domain (domain as in Domain Controllers/Networking/AD - not web domain) name hotmail.com ?

Exactly, it cant.

You should just configure POP forwarding from your chosen web based email to Outlook and stop all this nonsense about Exchange for a Home Network.

Ok, question answered, but no need to be so hostile about it is there? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back