Help with graphic cards

Bebo Morgan

So I made a thread awhile ago asking what graphics card should I get for gaming and stuff heres the link (https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-knowing-about-my-graphics-card.181334/)

now a friend of mine recommended me to a graphics card called XFX geforce and its 1 gig ( sorry im not very good with computer stuff lol) I would just like to know if this Graphics card is a good gaming graphics card and if I should buy it or not help plox

EDIT: one more thing will I be able to run assassin's creed revelations on this graphics card smoothly?

What's the model number, e.g. GTX 460, GTX 280, 9800GT (those are just some random ones I thought of with 1GB VRAM)

XFX from my understanding only has a few Nvidia cards they work with anymore and given that price range I'm guessing your friend suggested a GT430 or 520. Regarding if it's a gaming card, I must inform you it's not. Pretty much anything in that price range really isn't meant for gaming.

Checking out that linked thread, if you truly have an old P4 you won't be getting anywhere with modern games. Assassin's Creed: Revelations has a minimum requirement of at least a Core 2 Duo, so even if you go out and buy a dedicated card, you will still have a rough time, if the game launches at all.

I'd save the money towards upgrading your computer. No latest generation "gaming" spec GPU is going to function at anywhere near full potential with your existing Pentium 4 hardware.

As others have pointed out, just because it's labelled as a gaming graphics card doesn't necessarily mean its any good at performing its task.

For Assassins Creed Revelations, you need at least a HD6770 really, but what GPU you need depends on what resolution and detail level you wish to play at. A good mid-range GPU would be the HD6870, or better yet, the GTX560 TI. If you want something of the latest generation, then the HD7870 is a good starting point. These will play the majority of popular games at full HD and medium to high detail if the hardware is good enough to run them to their full potential.

XFX from my understanding only has a few Nvidia cards they work with anymore and given that price range I'm guessing your friend suggested a GT430 or 520. Regarding if it's a gaming card, I must inform you it's not. Pretty much anything in that price range really isn't meant for gaming.

Checking out that linked thread, if you truly have an old P4 you won't be getting anywhere with modern games. Assassin's Creed: Revelations has a minimum requirement of at least a Core 2 Duo, so even if you go out and buy a dedicated card, you will still have a rough time, if the game launches at all.

How come tho? I can run ACR but I get low fps and I have a really really really really bad chipset and I get like 20 fps thats not good or fine wont run the game smooth as I want but its not like OMG UNPLAYABLE either and its on this bad chipset if I get the graphics card and I get 40 fps+ ill be very satisfied actually

Btw I run the game on res 1024x768 and med textures and quality

How come tho? I can run ACR but I get low fps and I have a really really really really bad chipset and I get like 20 fps thats not good or fine wont run the game smooth as I want but its not like OMG UNPLAYABLE either and its on this bad chipset if I get the graphics card and I get 40 fps+ ill be very satisfied actually

Btw I run the game on res 1024x768 and med textures and quality

It's a matter of perspective I guess, 20 FPS average for most PC gamers would be considered unplayable. Most PCers shoot for a 60 average on 1080p, I personally am fine with ~50, but ya it's all a matter of what you can live with. So if you got it to run with your dated hardware, adding a dedicated card will only bring it up. Now 40+ may be a stretch given your CPU, but you will surely get better results. If you're still set on buying a new card, let us know the specific model that your friend recommended (e.g. GT 430/520) & the exact PC you have. I'm assuming you never updated anything on your current desktop, like your power supply (PSU). Meaning any new dedicated card will likely need a better PSU, even though it's just a low-end model, your system is probably too dated to handle a greater power draw safely imo.

The game also ran smoothly on my dell laptop and its graphics card was 1 gig too

Memory isn't the biggest factor in your case. But if it works better on your laptop, why buy new hardware for your dated desktop? I honestly feel any minor improvements you get will be a waste of money, and I personally recommend just saving for a whole new system.

It's a matter of perspective I guess, 20 FPS average for most PC gamers would be considered unplayable. Most PCers shoot for a 60 average on 1080p, I personally am fine with ~50, but ya it's all a matter of what you can live with. So if you got it to run with your dated hardware, adding a dedicated card will only bring it up. Now 40+ may be a stretch given your CPU, but you will surely get better results. If you're still set on buying a new card, let us know the specific model that your friend recommended (e.g. GT 430/520) & the exact PC you have. I'm assuming you never updated anything on your current desktop, like your power supply (PSU). Meaning any new dedicated card will likely need a better PSU, even though it's just a low-end model, your system is probably too dated to handle a greater power draw safely imo.

Memory isn't the biggest factor in your case. But if it works better on your laptop, why buy new hardware for your dated desktop? I honestly feel any minor improvements you get will be a waste of money, and I personally recommend just saving for a whole new system.
um I cant right now :( but hey im gonna get ATI 5450 is that good or decent or fine? lol

everything higher then 30 fps is always smooth tho when your performance start going under 30 fps you will see the difference

dont get a 5450, I would honestly get the next best thing. the *450 cards (ive used like 2 gens of them) are barely to able to handle video playing well.

Back