Help with malware and Trojan.Peacomm.D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi every one

My system (running a Win XP Pro) got infected a couple of days back. After the infection it become very slow and would not show me desktop. Using popular softwares such as Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and PC Doctor I was able to get rid of No desktop problem (and ad pop-ups at the later stage) but I keep on getting infection messages of "Trojan.Peacomm.D" every couple of minutes. I tried everything I could think of but was not able to rid of this evil. My Anti-Virus always detects and ward of this virus but somehow it keep on getting reproduced.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Saeed

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as Attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of obsaeed only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks!!

Hi howard_hopkinso

That was quite a handful of instructions; but I appreciate your response.

I have attached the logs as advised. Panda Antirootkit did not find any thing at all.

Thanks once again for your time.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Dap

Close control panel.

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quote box below into it:
NOTE* make sure to only highlight and copy what is inside the quote box nothing out side of it.
Also ..

Pay particular attention to this :-

Make sure the word File:: is on the first line of the text file you save (no blank line above it, & no space in front of it)
Code:
File::
C:\WINDOWS\noskrnl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tmp.reg
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tmp.txt
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sskeidfu.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vvvwa.ini2
C:\WINDOWS\system32\stanby.reg
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xfkubwgw.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SSVICHOSST.exe

Folder::
C:\Program Files\DAP
C:\VundoFix Backups

Registry::
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\~\Browser Helper Objects\{94f4913c-afee-4813-bd68-cb374deb9696}]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"noskrnl"=-
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\jkkklkj]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\group policy\state\S-1-5-21-343818398-1292428093-839522115-1110\Scripts\Logon\0\0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Yahoo Messengger]

Save this as CFScript.txt

Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

CFScript.gif

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of obsaeed only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi

I have followed the instructions and attached logs here.

I would like to ask one question though; every time I run the 'ComboFix.exe' one the first messages it shows is 'Stack Overflow.' Is this normal?

Also my system date and time settings always change on reboot; date in the format YYYY-MM-DD and Time in HH:mm.

Thanks

No it`s not normal for Combofix to give a stack overflow, but it is normal for Combofix to mess with the time settings.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Timple Mail Transfer Protocol

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

notaped.exe<Look at the spelling

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O16 - DPF: Habib IBC - https://www.hblebank.com/classes/credo.cab

O16 - DPF: Habib Orbix - https://www.hblebank.com/classes/credoorbixweb.cab

O16 - DPF: Habib Swing - https://www.hblebank.com/classes/swing.cab

O16 - DPF: Habib Xml - https://www.hblebank.com/classes/xml.cab

O23 - Service: Timple Mail Transfer Protocol - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\notaped.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or folders(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\notaped.exe<Check the spelling and do not delete Notepad.exe.
C:\qoobox
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SSVICHOSST.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\noskrnl.sys

Click start/run and type regedit into the run box and hit the enter key.

Navigate to the following regkeys and delete the bold portions(if there).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Yahoo Messengger

Close regedit.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post fresh HJT and Combofix logs.

Regards Howard :)

Here are the new logs. Files you asked to delete were not present except for the 'C:\qoobox' folder. Same is true for the entery in HJT
'O23 - Service: Timple Mail Transfer Protocol - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\notaped.exe (file missing)'

Regards,

Saeed

That all looks fine now.

Click start/run and type combofix /u into the run box and hit the enter key. That should delete Combofix and all it`s folders etc.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

Dear Howard

Thank you for your help and time. May I ask one last question? How can I, if I want to, develop expertise in handling security issues like these and others relating to data?

Regards,

Saeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back