Help with new graphics card for emachines T2682

Status
Not open for further replies.

xroads

First off am I doing the right thing by changing from the onboard graphics (intel extreme graphics AGP) to an ATI Raedon 256 MB DDR PCI Card? I am assuming that by putting 256 MB card in a PCI slot it will increase the overall performance of not only the graphics but the entire computer as well. That being said how do I shut down the current graphics card and drivers? Do I even need to? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx, xroads

You are doing the right thing by using a graphics card over the built-in controller on the motherboard. You should notice an overall speed up of your computer (though it may not be that much). I'm assuming that the card you got came with instructions, if not, here is a general way to install a graphics card.

1. Install the drivers for the card (without the card in the computer yet)
2. Turn off computer and install card
3. Plug monitor into card and turn on the computer
4. If you can see and use Windows, it worked! If not, plug your monitor into the orignal card, go to Display Properties, then Settings, open the pull-down menu and select your new card. Hit Apply. The screen should go black. You now have about ten seconds to plug the monitor into the new card and hit okay in the confirmation box. If you don't do this, the computer will switch back to the old graphics card.

You can safely disable the Intel card once you've made sure your new card is working.

Hope this helps! :grinthumb

Thanx for info

I was leary about uninstalling current drivers. New card instructions say to do that first. Think I'll do it your way and see what happens. thanx, xroads

Xroads:

I have the same computer you have, and there is a chat thing on emachines.com, and they said to disable in Safe Mode and in BIOS. I would chat with a tech about that...

Bios

I ended up installing the card then going into bios and disabling onboard drivers. Been working fine last 6 months. xroads

I ended up installing the card then going into bios and disabling onboard drivers. Been working fine last 6 months. Thanx for reply though. xroads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back