Help with restoring admin on computer (13 yr old got too clever)

barca1au

A friend's 13 year old grandson wanted to access his account in the Microsoft shop using her computer which is running Win10 Home edition. She is an IT innocent so the computer was set up without registering her with Windows/Microsoft as she did not want an email address and she would be the only one using it - she was not ready to handle email. He registered not only his email address on the computer but also his step-father's email address as admin and the administrative changes are due to take place on July 6th. The only thing we have managed to do is get in and read the grandson's email, but we cannot yet remove the new users from the computer as we do not have their passwords, and Microsoft help have been not much use as they cannot understand the situation or how it happened. All remedies for this so far have stated they do not work on Win 10 Home. We still have to try and access the Hidden Administrator Account - if this works, or else we have a choice of a factory reset or using the Windows Recover, but will this prevent the automatic permanent change of admin by Microsoft in a few weeks? As things stand, my friend is unable to use her favourite programs and the message she gets is that she needs the permission of an adult, namely the complete stranger who has been given control over the computer by her grandson and who does not know if he has admin rights. Its not possible to ask for his help, and if he knew he would not help anyway. Family options and account protection simply do not cover this situation

We still have to try and access the Hidden Administrator Account
YES - - enable that, log into it and set a new password.

Second, use Local Admin instead of Microsoft Accounts.

Make all accounts other than the new Admin to be Limited Users to stop Jr from playing with the system.

Elect ONE AND ONLY ONE person to install and manage the system, keeping the Admin password totally secret.

Thanks for confirming what I thought I had to do. The kid was never meant to play with the computer and my friend has no idea about accounts or permissions so things had been kept as simple as possible because she was the only one to use it. What is worrying is that when he accessed the MS Shop he used his login - an X-box 1 login? - and was able to override everything, add a third party as admin, give my friend an email address she doesn't have and so far we cannot remove, and MS were happy to permanently change the admin details on 6th July, all without my friend knowing anything about it. It was only because we were able to access the child's email account that we saw the email, but we could not put in an objection to MS to stop it because we did not have the new passwords. Its a horrific security gap for the unwary.

Find a reputable certified IT/Computer friend you know help you.
Have that friend wipe that whole hard drive clean for beginners.
"clean install with windows 10"
Set it back up correctly with the right admin password and don't let him touch it again.
I know it seems abit harsh but when it comes down to it you just don't let anyone touch your computer.
You have to know how to operate it which average people refuse to do lately.
With technology evolving so quickly, I can understand why you wouldn't understand half the mess that is going on now.
Windows live mail/Hotmail/Outlook account can be used as a login for your windows 10 machine.
My computer is set to it that way and don't have much of a problem.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ive-mail/9d1390a1-5c5d-45cb-b0c1-c62540fff983

Thank you - my first instinct too was to do a clean install but that terrifies the owner of the computer so she wants other methods tried first - there is a back story to this I do not have the right to explain, which is why its being done the long way around. Since I have as little as possible to do with Windows live/Hotmail/Outlook and Xbox, I wanted to check I was heading in the right direction and that this kid truly could not assign admin rights to a third party - but it would appear it is possible under certain circumstances as I was able to replicate his actions! Its a steep learning curve for my friend.

I get you follow through with what Joe says.
If that doesn't work and he is still logging in without admin credentials.
Do your homework on backing up the files.
Then talk to her about reinstalling from scratch.
Give her the flash drive with the backed up data.
Windows 10 setup will make it simple to do as long you know which options to pick.
CPU-Z will tell you what mobo you have so you can Google official drivers.
A proper clean install and setup will take 4 hours top if you know what to do.

Re-installed, passworded, pinned, Outlook by-passed , friend happy, and the child is banned from touching the computer. Thank you, everyone, for your advice!

Back