help with wireless setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

noleson

I remember reading somewhere that you can setup two wireless routers to intercommunicate. I own two linksys routers and would like to set one up as a receiver and the other one as a broadcaster. Does that make sense? The reason is that the original access point I have is two floors above me and I dislike having to carry computers up two flights of stairs in order to perform any updates after repairing them. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick

Only some routers can work as wireless extenders. AFAIK you need custom firmware to make WRT54G work this way. Also, using another router would be a silly overkill.

You should get a wireless access point that can work as an extender.

Or, even better - run a cable down to your place. You can use weather-proof cable on the outside wall if needed.

Wrong equipment. Can be done, but is a worthless exercise which will give you more trouble than good connections.

I would run a cable, but my father doesn't want to drill holes in the house.

So what you are saying is that it's absolutly pointless to try to run this setup? i might not have been as clear with my post because it was late, so what i am asking is if it's possible to configure a WRT54G as a repeater? My main access point is a WRT54GX4 and it has sufficient range, but i just need something that could allow me to configure computers with out having to install a wireless NIC, so i can test the connection. i'm not interested with connection speed, just with the ability to connect them. If it's not a viable soultion, well, i'll just have to keep carying computers up staris then. thanks for your help.

nah, the one i have is decent enough, lol. oh well, i guess i'll just have to be content with lugging machines up and down stairs.

It shouldn't be hard to do. You need to turn on WDS so that one of the routers can repeat the signal. And yes, you will need new firmware.

Try this or this

after reading those two guides, i'm not sure if it will work for me as the firmware for the WRT54G and WRT54GX4 are different and i didn't see a fimrware upgrade for my WRT54GX4 that would enabls those options. thanks for your help anyway. i'l still give it a try

If you can't drill holes, is there any objection to having a cat5 cable hanging outside via open windows (as Nodsu already mentioned)?
Cheapest and easiest solution!

actualy i was able to persuade my parents to allow me to run some additional cables. I will keep looking and trying to get my two routers to sommunicate, and if a can manage to get it working, i'll post how it works. thanks again for your help.

I don't understand why you can't use just one router. The range should be at least 100 feet. If there is a lot of radio deflecting material between you and the router, have u considered an external antenna?

lol, no, that's not the issue. my PC has a wireless NIC already installed. Personal internet access isn't the problem. The problem arises when i work on other's computers. I wanted to have the 2nd router avaliable so that i could plug the other computers into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back