Here's what to expect from season 23 of Top Gear

Shawn Knight

Staff member

BBC American in collaboration with Top Gear has released a teaser trailer for the next season of the popular motoring show. The program certainly hasn’t lost its production value although without beloved hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, one can’t help but wonder its fate beyond the upcoming season.

In March 2015, host Jeremy Clarkson got into an argument with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon about catering arrangements. Reports claim Clarkson physically assaulted Tymon which ultimately led to his dismissal from the show a few weeks later. Co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May quickly followed, leaving the show in limbo.

The BBC decided to continue producing the show, hiring Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc to handle hosting duties for season 23. Forging ahead without the trio of hosts that were largely responsible for making Top Gear the most widely watched factual television program in the world seems like a monumentally impossible task.

As of writing, the trailer above has just over 100,000 views on YouTube with nearly 11,000 “dislikes” compared to just 3,776 "likes."

Many thought they would never see the trio appear on another car show but fate had other plans. Last summer, Amazon announced it had signed Clarkson, Hammond and May to host a minimum of three seasons of a motoring show that’ll debut exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Filming for the unnamed show, which is being produced by Andy Wilman of Top Gear fame, began last summer with plans for the first season to arrive this summer.

Top Gear returns in the UK on May 8 and will air on BBC America later in the month.

Permalink to story.

I'm sorry, but Top Gear WAS Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. BBC butchered the goose that laid their golden eggs. BBC is no more. Well, unless You fancy some news or morning cooking shows or whatever they were doing there between the TG episodes...

I'm sorry, but Top Gear WAS Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. BBC butchered the goose that laid their golden eggs. BBC is no more. Well, unless You fancy some news or morning cooking shows or whatever they were doing there between the TG episodes...

I agree... any show can do automotive related antics and reviews of the same style that TG had, but the hosts is really where the meat and potatoes are. This will likely flop. All good things come to an end. I have accepted it.

I doubt the Amazon series will live up to the same level of entertainment even with the same hosts and producer, but we'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

Not even Sabine can save this version.. From all accounts the reasoning for Clarkson going to Amazon , besides the money, was a bigger budget and NO oversight at the corporate level.. basically Jeremy and the boys get to do ALL the things they wanted for 22 seasons but were shackled from doing.. Personally my 9 year old, (, who's been watching Top Gear since he was 3), and I are counting the days to the launch of season one of the new show.

I will hold my judgement until I see the entire program. That said I hope Top Gear takes a lesson from another BBC very popular program Dr Who. When they bring in a new Dr they change everything. Appearance, body language, his attitude and so on. Even the interior of the Tarus changes to. Top Gear can work if they change the program to fit in with the three new hosts and not the new Top Gear a copy cat of the the three that just departed. Anyone trying to copy those three have a very high bar as they made the Top Gear so popular to the entire WORLD!

Back