Here's your first look at the PlayStation 5 hardware design

Polycount

Staff
Highly anticipated: After months of letting Microsoft hog the next-gen console spotlight, Sony has finally kicked the PS5 marketing machine into high gear. It recently released a deep-dive technical talk about the console's powerful SSD, and it worked with Epic to showcase the impressive graphical features the PlayStation 5 will be capable of powering.

Now, after a lengthy 2-hour stream full of impressive game reveals and cinematic trailers, Sony has taken the next step by showing the PS5's official hardware design. As you can see on the video above, the PS5 easily features the boldest design of any PlayStation console to date.

It's sleek and futuristic, with twin white fins enclosing a glossy black centerpiece. It looks dramatically different to Microsoft's much more basic, box-shaped Xbox Series X. Whether or not that's a good thing will depend on your personal preference.

A quick glance at Twitter and other media outlets makes it clear that the PS5's look has proven polarizing, to say the least. Some users hate the design and compare it to an old-fashioned router, whereas others (myself included) think it looks quite unique and fresh.

Either way, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the console's actual performance matters much more than its aesthetic.

In addition to revealing the standard PlayStation 5, Sony showed off an alternative, disc-less version of the console. While the company has yet to reveal pricing for either model, we expect this variant to be a bit cheaper -- perhaps by $50 or so -- to justify the exclusion of an optical drive.

Sony also took some time to unveil several accessories for the PS5, including a DualSense charging station, which seems to be capable of charging two controllers at once, an "HD Camera," a "Pulse 3D" wireless headset, and a media remote.

More information about these will likely come shortly, and we'll keep you updated on their capabilities as those details emerge. For now, let us know what you think of Sony's controversial new PlayStation design in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

2020 - when Female protagonists TOOK OVER GAMING.
Every single trailer looked like an interactive Disney film with a female lead role.

I want to see the side by side comparison of a cross-platform game on an RTX PC, the Scarlett and the PS5.

I am glad to finally see the console itself. Reminded me of the Alienware X51 a little bit - and yes it kinda resembles some Gateway routers.

Thus far, Deathloop, Resident Evil and Returnal are interesting.

Last edited:
The optical drive version bugs me, the all digital version has a nice look to it. I am sticking with xbox again this generation, the backwards compatibility is just to nice to have going back 3 generations and once the series x is out they are going to be bringing more xbox 360 and original xbox titles to the system. I didn't see any exclusive Sony titles that really seemed interesting, the arkane studios game looked fun, nice to see gran turismo still kicking but overall the games were very meh for me.

All I can say is: Did they replace the old design guy? Has no resemblance to the brand...

It doesn't look bad; though I'd only buy it in black though. It doesn't look much different from some concept designs I've seen.

As long as it has the power Sony has been claiming is what I care about. Which means no more crappy ports for pc. No more 30 fps nonsense.
If it cant fix the fps n loading isssues that has always plagued consoles then to me its a fail. So these new consoles better start evolving cause the price is going up but we have yet to see better quaility, now is there time to really shine.

The optical drive version bugs me, the all digital version has a nice look to it. I am sticking with xbox again this generation, the backwards compatibility is just to nice to have going back 3 generations and once the series x is out they are going to be bringing more xbox 360 and original xbox titles to the system. I didn't see any exclusive Sony titles that really seemed interesting, the arkane studios game looked fun, nice to see gran turismo still kicking but overall the games were very meh for me.

I guess they had to do it for cost reasons in production, but the drive did really seem like it was stuck on the side as an after thought. It would had looked better if it was in the black part, and just make it thicker, but hey, I can't even draw stick figure so who am I to criticize designs.....

I would say I care about backwards compatibility in the past, but I haven't actually touched the PS3 for well over 2 years despite it being plugged in and I could had easily played it. Reality is, I have really have no time to re-play old games. And there are more games I want to play than I have time for, I barely go through PS4 exclusives as it is, I really have no FOMO on anything other than Fromsoftware games (Bloodborne sold me PS4).

A lot of those games are confirmed to be on PC, on release. Horizon Zero Dawn launches on PC this summer, some kind of toe dipped in the waters to test consumer response.

Sony just need to put everything else they have on PC. If it was only a year after it arrived on PS5 all you'll ever need is a gaming PC, one platform to rule them all.....

A lot of those games are confirmed to be on PC, on release. Horizon Zero Dawn launches on PC this summer, some kind of toe dipped in the waters to test consumer response.

Sony just need to put everything else they have on PC. If it was only a year after it arrived on PS5 all you'll ever need is a gaming PC, one platform to rule them all.....
That's why this will never happen. And I'm happy with that, at least we get less generic first part games on PlayStation. PS and pc will still be my choice next gen.

Given you can get a PS5 for gaming AND a reasonable laptop for other duties, that cost about the same as a 2080ti graphics card...I think gaming PC's are the ones looking like they're past their sell-by date.

I do like the design, EXCEPT (and that’s a big ‘except’ - SWIDT) it didn’t appear to allow for horizontal orientation. I could be wrong. Maybe there are rubber feet on one side but they weren’t apparent. Packaged separately in the box for those who don’t care to mar the pristine white siding? Who knows?

Given you can get a PS5 for gaming AND a reasonable laptop for other duties, that cost about the same as a 2080ti graphics card...I think gaming PC's are the ones looking like they're past their sell-by date.
yeah Nah, ill stick with my PC and torrent all the ps5 exclusives 1 year after its released then use that freed up money not spent on games to go on a holiday. arrivederci

I was going to say it looks like an old wireless router I used to have but I see someone has already noticed that. It definitely doesn't look like a console to me.

I do like the design, EXCEPT (and that’s a big ‘except’ - SWIDT) it didn’t appear to allow for horizontal orientation. I could be wrong. Maybe there are rubber feet on one side but they weren’t apparent. Packaged separately in the box for those who don’t care to mar the pristine white siding? Who knows?
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4xP...horus_asset/file/20030795/ps5_on_its_side.jpg

yeah Nah, ill stick with my PC and torrent all the ps5 exclusives 1 year after its released then use that freed up money not spent on games to go on a holiday. arrivederci
Ever thought of changing careers? You'd make a great politician.

Back