Hi Speed USB host controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i insert my Kingston (or other) flash drive my computer tells me 'that it could perform faster if plugged into a Hi Speed 2.0 port' - which all mine are!
The flyout tells me there are 'no Hi Speed USB host controllers installed on this computer' but as far as i'm aware there are no driver issues.

Any advice?

Matt

Check the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow symbols next to any devices, especially USB controllers. If so, the appropriate drivers will have to be installed.

See the attachment; the first intel(r) is the hispeed, all the others are usb 1.1

Attachments

• USB2.0 Adaptor.jpg
    USB2.0 Adaptor.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
How old is your computer? It could be that it only has USB 1.1 ports. If that is the case you could buy a PCI card giving you USB 2.0 pretty cheap (probablly less than $20)

Sometimes if the system is old and you use some of those cheap USB 2.0 Controller Cards, you might run into problems with the devices you attach to them?

Sometimes, but you wont know till you try.. I recently added USB 2.0 to an older PC I have, (Pentium 4 1.6ghz, Windows 2000, Intel Mobo) It worked fine with an MP3 player and wireless network adapter that I use.

For what it's worth, I added an Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card to an old PC and haven't had any problems with it. Pentium 3, 750MHz, Windows 98SE. I've used a USB wireless adapter and various flash drives. The main difficulty is finding device drivers for Win 98SE. Those USB devices that support Win 98SE work fine.

yes, Win/98* is a real pain getting USB to work for all devices.

Adaptec is a good brand, I was saying some of the cheaper ones don't work so fell. The type you buy at the Computer Fair... Never again for me..

XP
and up support USB 2.0 Win 2000 should? Can't remember everyone here uses XP some testing on Vista Business is going on..

I use Windows 2000 at work and it has supported 2.0 flash drives and an external USB DVD burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back