Hibernation makes computer freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witchy

Getting my computer into hibernation or getting it out of it is a random thing. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't and my computer freezes and I have to use the reset button. My computer is new so I don't understand why this should happen. Can anyone give me advice? I use hibernation so I don't have to wait to start up the computer, but maybe I shouldnot? Is standby better? I have a AMD 64 4000+ with 1024 mb RAM.

I just use stand by..i havent switched of my PC in 2 years..no need to but
You will probably find different opinions on this(depends who paying the electrictiy bill!!!!)
Windows usually manages hibernation pretty well as long as you have enough disk space which im presuming you checked and probably have considering your pc is new

I use Windows XP sp2 and my hard disk has 400 GB. That is not the problem, I think.
Toffeapple, you don't switch of your PC at all? Is that possible? That is even better but isn't it necessary to switch of? I mean for your PC? Does it influence the way it is performing? What happens to your memory?

of course its possible..i do it...i have a few PC's..the one i use for downloading i never restart..no need...its probably a good idea to reboot once in a while but with this pc i couldn't be bothered..i've never installed or upgraded anything on it..its a 1ghz p111 running w2k and it never gives a problem i have anti virus, anti spy ware and it is only used for the internet....thinking about it now im gonna restart it!!!!

I read about this happening quite often on A64 based rigs, both with nf3 and nf4 chipsets...
The problem is very common if you have 1GB or more memory, looks as if there's some kind of a bug in windows or hardware itself, cause the windows freezes because it thinks there isnt enough resources for the API to run.

Have you tried playing with Cool'n'Quiet, or looked into some of the BIOS settings regarding to power saving/standby/hibernation?

You could run standby all the time, but it'll obviously make your electricity bill higher :), and if you're comfortable running it 24/7 (though it's in a low power idle state), it does make resuming the work on the PC faster by 2-4 seconds (new PCs boot so fast out of hibernation that I wouldnt even recommend standby).

Try checking out the BIOS options, e.g. suspend modes...

Yes that's right, I have 1 GB memory. But, I am not good at computers so I don't dare to change something in the Bios. Now I am using standby and that gives no problems. What is that about Cool 'n Quiet? I know it is there, I look at it sometimes, looks nice... ;-)
but what can I do with it?

Cool n Quiet is a technology implemented in the new line of AMD CPUs (A64 for example) - when the system is not under load, CnQ will throttle your CPU down, lowering its speed (MHz), and voltage supplied to the CPU, resulting in less power consumption, an even cooler CPU, and possibly reduce the noice from your comp. if you have your CPU cooler set to throttle depending on the temp.

A really good thing if you're not overcloking...

It probably wont help you with hibernation, but as it says it will make your CPU cooler, and make your computer quieter during standby, and will consume less power, seems like a good thing if you're running you PC in standby almost all the time (btw, it wont be active just during standby, it will be active all the time if it's enabled, but as soon as you load the CPU, it throttles back to stock clocks, so you wont lose any performance) :)

This is useful information, thanks! I looked for more info and found an installation guide in which was mentioned how to enable Cool n Quiet. Nice stuff. As I understand correctly, I do have to have the pictogram in the windows taskbar for CnQ to be running? I looked under 'system' and saw a remarkable difference in clock frequency, with CnQ in the taskbar I mean.

Yes, it does throttle down the CPU frequency and voltage - that's the way it accomplishes the coolness and quietness :), but if it's set right there wont be a performance decrease, cause a soon as you load the CPU it will throttle back to stock MHz, or to a high enough frequency until the CPU is not 100% loaded (it increases frequency until it reaches the stock frequency or until the load is not 100% anymore).

I have seen it in action, and it's rather nice - can you say 20*C CPU temperature goodness :angel: (though thats with a good cooler and in an idle state)?

You should be satisfied with that, 20*C is as I said only to be expected with a good cooler, and in an complete idle state.
Well, even if we couldnt solve the problem of your hibernation, I'm glad we provided you with something else :)

Yes! And thanks again. I have this computer since 6 weeks and had no idea what this CnQ thing was....
Now that I know I am very happy with it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back