Hideo Kojima teases Death Stranding 2 at The Game Awards

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Hideo Kojima took the stage during The Game Awards last night to talk briefly about his next project. A four-minute-long teaser trailer for Death Stranding 2 (working title) was shown before Kojima and a translator came out for an exchange with Geoff Keighley. The host jumped right in by asking how DS2 would be different from the original.

Kojima said he could not be specific right now, but pointed to the trailer that just debuted and hinted that there are several clues waiting to be discovered in it.

Keighley pointed out a couple of the game's cast members in attendance before asking how the pandemic impacted Kojima's storytelling and the theme of the game. Kojima said he had the story written before the pandemic but after experiencing it, he rewrote the whole thing from scratch. "I also didn't want to predict any more futures, so I rewrote it," he quipped.

When asked what was next, Kojima said he of course has DS2 in the pipeline and one other title that is completely new that he is working on as well as other visual projects. He hopes to reveal more soon on those fronts.

Death Stranding dropped in 2019 for the PlayStation 4 and was Kojima's first game after leaving Konami a few years earlier. The action game stars Norman Reedus (Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead) as Sam Porter Bridges, a courier that delivers cargo to isolated cities and helps connect them to a communications network. The game was ported to the PC in the summer of 2020 before finding its way to the PlayStation 5 in September 2021.

As for the new teaser, it features Léa Seydoux and a much older looking Sam. The rest is probably best left for your own interpretation.

Kojima didn't share a launch date and considering Reedus said back in May that they'd just started production, Death Stranding 2 - or whatever it ends up being called - could still be a couple of years away.

Permalink to story.

It was a good cure for insomnia. I'm sure Part Deux won't disappoint in that regard either.
And yet for me and many more others it was a really good game. And the PC port was really well done.

In fact, the majority who played it loved it. Being a slower game isn't bad. Not being able to play slow games means that you are missing out on many great titles (Eve Online is another good example)

And yet for me and many more others it was a really good game. And the PC port was really well done.

In fact, the majority who played it loved it. Being a slower game isn't bad. Not being able to play slow games means that you are missing out on many great titles (Eve Online is another good example)
Not everyone like these kind of games. Mostly gamers want some action

I remember when playing Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain, the "A Game by Hideo Kojima" again and again and again being spammed all the time really puts me off. Look, Hideous Kojima, sorry, Hideo Kojima, we know you made the games, but there's no reason to smack your name on our faces all the time.

P.S. Luckily I didn't buy Phantom Pain. It came with the PS Plus subscription.

What a nice treat to look forward to. Another very weird, very immersing yarn from Hideo. It does not seem to appeal to the ADHD generations, probably because of the lack of gun play. But for those with the patience to actually get into the story, Death Stranding was a very entertaining speil..

However... I'd wish for a bit more width to the next version. DS the first had great depth. Just no width. Very linear.

Not everyone like these kind of games. Mostly gamers want some action
I have no problem with people liking or not the game. I just dislike people who dismiss other's tastes in such things.

I know I can easily find 1 million people who can say that eve online is boring, but objectively eve online is an amazing MMO that many others enjoy it enough to play it for 1 or 2 decades (not exaggerating). the same with death stranding, many people like slower games.

Last edited:
I have no problem with people liking or not the game. I just dislike people who dismiss other's tastes in such things.

I know I can easily find 1 million people who can say that eve online is boring, but objectively eve online is an amazing MMO that many others enjoy it enough to play it for 1 or 2 decades (not exaggerating). the same with death stranding, many people like slower games.
Well I said exactly that, yes

I have had more fun walking to my mailbox than I did playing through Death Stranding.
I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite with that. I love City Builders where the long term goal is the whole point. I can't help it though.

But, maybe things like what I just said has filtered down to Kojima, because I am very far from the only one. So maybe the 2nd DS will be, I don't know, fun. It was certainly immersive enough that I don't think it has to play anywhere near like Doom. But, something on the immersive side of fun would be more than acceptable.

Honestly though, in the meantime, I will be yawning in anticipation.

Back