High cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwingz

ok so I cant figure this out. I dont have any viruses, I dont have any unknown high usage processes running, and im running an AMD Athlon 4600+ dual core OC'd to 2.7ghz and I have 4 gigs of DDR2 ram. for some reason when I install any process it takes up 60-70% of my cpu and any music or videos I try to watch or listen to play very slowly or choppy or sometimes just stop all together. when there is nothing running everything sounds ok but if its loading any other program or scanning or anything it slows all audio/video down.

I really dont understand the problem because I remember this starting up about 3 or 4 months ago and im not sure why it started it could have been when my hard drives switched places on me. For some reason when I logged in a few months ago it brought me to the desktop on my second hard drive and ive been using that ever since. when it switched over I reinstalled all the drivers for the motherboard and everything. everything has been fine but the current problem im having.

when I go to my computer properties it shows that I have a dual core, could there be an option to turn on the second core or utilize it? could that be why its running so slow?

I tried to increase the voltage to the cpu, i know that when overclocking that adds stability so I figured that might help, but it didnt. btw its not a sound card that im working with, its the on board audio.

any help with this problem would be greatly appriciated

maybe it's spending all that trying to do something like re-reading from a bad disk?

Have you looked in Windows Event Logs to see anything being reported?

You might also look into a tool like Process Monitor which can use to help know where the cpu spends its time (i haven't used it too much myself but keep meaning to use it more. can divulge lots of stuff but needs some time invested to know how to use right)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back