High-pitched sound from PC

Hello everybody,

I have been having a huge problem this last month with my computer, which I hope someone will be able to help me with.

The problem:
A high pitch “squeak” sound is coming from “inside” my PC. It appears to be coming from my graphics card or somewhere above on the motherboard. I am not a hardware geek at all, so in all honestly I really do not know. I am almost sure it is NOT coming from my fans or my PSU, though it does sound like a voltage problem.

Here is a VIDEO I filmed of my PC making the annoying sound:

The facts:
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]The noises are random – and not related to anything. They will appear when I’m doing nothing, and they will appear when I’m doing loads of stuff.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]The noises last between ~1-7 seconds
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]The noises started occurring AFTER I installed my new SSD: http://ocz.com/consumer/vertex-3-sata-3-ssd - I had never heard them before. I cannot RMA it, unfortunately. After installing my new SSD, I formatted my PC and installed Windows and that drive. Note: I am almost 100 % sure that the sounds are not coming from the SSD or HDD.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]NO sounds during startup or in BIOS
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]People can hear the sound through Skype, EVEN WHEN MY MIC IS MUTED (!!) I find this very odd, and I hope it might be something to help locate the problem.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]Some days there are sounds all the time, but I have tried going 5+ hours without sounds.

What I have tried already:
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]I have tried unplugging my secondary HDD.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]I have tried disabling EIST mode in BIOS – read it somewhere on a forum.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]I have tried cleaning my PC of all dust.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]I have tried to make sure that all cables are properly connected.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT]I have tried connecting the PC directly to a wall socket, to see if it had anything to do with that.

My PC specs:
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40 GHz
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Motherboard
8 GB Memory – Kingston HyperX DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

So, that’s the specifics of my problem – I really hope someone will be able to help me with this.

Best regards
Rasmus of Denmark

You must have figured out what it is then.

I'm afraid I have not. I've written this same post on other forums, and some people seem to think it is GPU coil whine, but they can't understand the fact that others can hear it through Skype, which may indicate the problem is caused by something else? It is really annoying me.

Some say the noise is caused by electrical arcing in the PCIe slot. You can perhaps eliminate the possibility by carefully cleaning your card and slot contacts and re-seating the card. The 580 is one of the more power-hungry cards, so this isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. You also said you re-installed Windows, did you update the nVidia drivers or are you still on the generic Windows drivers? Make sure that all your hardware drivers are up to date, such as motherboard BIOS, SSD firmware, expansion card drivers, Windows updates, etc. Beyond doing that I don't know what else to suggest. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Some say the noise is caused by electrical arcing in the PCIe slot. You can perhaps eliminate the possibility by carefully cleaning your card and slot contacts and re-seating the card. The 580 is one of the more power-hungry cards, so this isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. You also said you re-installed Windows, did you update the nVidia drivers or are you still on the generic Windows drivers? Make sure that all your hardware drivers are up to date, such as motherboard BIOS, SSD firmware, expansion card drivers, Windows updates, etc. Beyond doing that I don't know what else to suggest. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I updated ALL drivers, except for BIOS and SSD firmware. PCIe slot? What's that? I'm not a hardware geek at all.

UPDATE: I found out the sound was coming from my GFX 580 after disabling it, and running my PC on my integrated graphics card for 8+ hours without having any issues.

I have now contacted the manufacturer of my PC and they're going to send the card to ASUS for repair / replace.

Thanks for the help.

Back