Hit HARD by Spyware. No help from AVG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjbrand99

Ok, so today I was browsing a website, and when trying to play a video on this site at some point I was given a little present. SPYWARE!

So the first thing I do is see what is going wrong. I find that there is a program called spydawn or something like that and it wanted me to register and claimed that it could fix my problems. I no for a fact that it was not legit and even Googling it confirmed this.

Then I see I have 2 desktop items. One says something like "Safe web browsing" and the other something like: "Help with spyware problems".

So then I click them and they turn out to be web links, and on that page, they have a Windows-style help wizard.

So you click "Yes I have been infected etc..."

And then it asks you something like "Would you like to see the solution" Then it leads me to buying some other fake scanning product.

So i delete them, and am sure that I am free, after doing AVG sans, Spybot (which also detected about 20 other bad items), Ewido, and a few other TechSpot recommended tools, and i still have ONE MORE PROBLEM!

The problem is, I have this little icon in my bottom right corner of my screen (the tray) and it is a little flashing "no entry sign" and a question mark. Every 2 minutes or so, it pops up (just like an un-used desktop items wizard bubble) and tell me that my computer "may be infected with spyware programs and that it reccomends me to download some scanning software". So when I click it it leads me back to a website for the spydawn $*%£!!!!

The product it wants me to buy and the site It keeps wanting me to gon on is http://spydawn.com/affiliates.php

I always use all the scanning software I mentioned, Sptbot, AVG etc, DAILY, and had no problems before.

PLEASE HELP ME!

And thanks for any replies in advance.

Ive seen this problem on a clients laptop. Scanned with 10 different programs, and upon a scan, it removed it, but it was back on the next reboot. My best recomendation is a fresh reformat and watch out for what sites you visit.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for Spydawn removal.

Then, go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

Edit: Due to problems with Combofix, it has been withdrawn, see HERE for more info. If you have a copy of Combofix on your computer, it is advisable to delete it asap.

This thread is for the use of Sjbrand99 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back