HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B [CD-ROM drive] will only play dvds but wont play cds

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am having a problem with my dvd drive. when i go to device manager my dvd drive is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B [CD-ROM drive]. it was working fine until a few days ago and now it will read dvds but will not read any cds or cd roms. I dont know if there is a setting wrong, could someone please help!!!!!

Same Problem

Help, I have a compaq Evo N1020v laptop and until this week could copy files to CD using explorer no problem. However it now wont read any data or audio CD, but plays DVDs fine. I've updated the driver, removed the uppper and lower key things as recommended by Microsoft but nothing makes it work. Can anybody help me?

How can it be a CD-ROM drives? It should display as DVD-RW Drive in My computer otherwise you have installed it wrongly (like my HL-DT-ST GSA H20L).
Make sure it's displayed not as a cd-rom drive and why don;t u reintall it?
(remove, turn on, off, insert, turn on) make sure no cd inside the drive in the last step, otherwise it'll be like mine.

How can it be a CD-ROM drives? It should display as DVD-RW Drive in My computer otherwise you have installed it wrongly (like my HL-DT-ST GSA H20L).
in device manager it would usually say CD-Rom or Standard CD Rom Drives since drivers used is the native CD drivers in windows.

Regarding the CD problem, if reinstalling the drivers doesn't work, try a firmware update (via the manufacturer's site) and maybe check/change the data and power cables.

If that fails as well, your CD laser might have gone dud. Replacing it is your option, and shouldn't be that expensive (maybe for a laptop tho..)

Well, but i mention it in the my computer.
I need to remember my stupid mistake while inserting LG disc when "new hardware wizard" pop-up showing. So the drive is troublesome, cannot burn make lightscribe image, frequently error and showing "please insert disc".
After i do a proper inst, weird, the name in the device manager changed too and it does not have a problem till today.

Anyway thanks for the infos...:)

what to check

First: Is the CD you are using to check your drive a burned CD or a commercial CD? Try a commercial CD in a different computer to make sure it loads, then try it in the suspect drive. If it doesn't load, go to Second.

Second: Check the warranty on the drive.

Third: Replace the drive, either warranty or out-of-pocket.

These things are made by the tens (or hundreds) of thousands, and do occasionally break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back