HMD promises the Nokia 2's battery will last up to two days

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

HMD Global just announced the Nokia 2 with claims that its battery will last for two days on a single charge. Unfortunately, the sizable 4,100mAh battery seems to be its only notable specification.

A 1.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 212 processor drives the Android Nougat smartphone which utilizes a 5-inch, 1,280 x 720 resolution LCD. It only sports 1GB RAM and 8GB of onboard storage but does support microSD cards of up to 128GB in its expansion slot.

The cameras are not that bad. It has an 8-megapixel rear shooter and a 5-megapixel forward-facing sensor. Just for reference, the iPhone 6 had an 8-megapixel rear camera and only a 1.2-megapixel shooter on the front. That said, it still lags behind most modern flagships.

HMD Chief Product Officer Juho Sarvikas says that the specs were intentionally designed to address one of the biggest complaints in the smartphone industry — short battery life. “Every component of the Nokia 2 — from the display to battery, chipset to system design — has been engineered to draw as little power as possible from the huge battery,” he said.

From an appearance standpoint, it's not too far removed from the Nokia 6. It is slightly thicker than its sibling due to the battery but aside from the antenna lines being on the top rather than the side, the aesthetics are mostly the same. It will come in three color schemes — Pewter/Black, Pewter/White and Copper/Black.

An expected and welcomed side effect of the low-spec design is its minimal price tag. The Nokia 2 will retail for about 99 Euros ($120 US). So, it's not too bad a price for those who are not too demanding of their phone and who crave long battery life.

It has a limited release slated for the middle of November with global distribution starting sometime early next year. However, noted mobile tech guru Paul Thurrott says the phone is not likely to hit US shores due to past Nokia releases not performing well.

Permalink to story.

WOW 2 whole days my old android Motorola does all I want as well as fitting in my pocket and not my man bag ^_~ and lasts up to two weeks ??? and they still do the same basic functions as my phone as well as making money for phone manufactures and Opticians due to the small ******* screens with their profits booming and they wont say a word to the public ?? ~_~

"That said, it still lags behind most modern flagships".
Gee, I wonder why that is... Maybe it's because it is not a flagship phone, it's far closer to an entry level device. Imagine the outrage, and amusement, if Apples new upcoming and overpriced "wunder waffen X" sported similar specs and performance, battery life notwithstanding yet it's price remained unchanged. 120 bucks is a far cry from a grand.

WOW 2 whole days my old android Motorola does all I want as well as fitting in my pocket and not my man bag ^_~ and lasts up to two weeks ??? and they still do the same basic functions as my phone as well as making money for phone manufactures and Opticians due to the small ******* screens with their profits booming and they wont say a word to the public ?? ~_~
wat

I understand it's a low budget device, I like the 720p display on 5 inches, it's surely close to 300ppi, if the colors are just decent which they probably are it is going to be great. Focus on a battery life is great and it has expendable memory. Camera...not that important, nobody is buying this phone to take pics all the time and a high end camera is wasted by your **** selfies. The only thing I don't like is 1GB of RAM. I believe that won't be enough even for something like Chrome. They would have to ultra optimize that ROM for it to run decently. It all comes down to which phones are there at the same price point.

I understand it's a low budget device, I like the 720p display on 5 inches, it's surely close to 300ppi, if the colors are just decent which they probably are it is going to be great. Focus on a battery life is great and it has expendable memory. Camera...not that important, nobody is buying this phone to take pics all the time and a high end camera is wasted by your **** selfies. The only thing I don't like is 1GB of RAM. I believe that won't be enough even for something like Chrome. They would have to ultra optimize that ROM for it to run decently. It all comes down to which phones are there at the same price point.
For a budget phone even 1.5GB of RAM would have given users a small amount of wiggle room.

The 8GB storage doesn't matter so much as it can be expanded with microSD cards.

Agreed. Hopefully they will offer a 2/16 option for another $35 or so. I'd happily pay the premium to get more RAM and keep the super long battery life.

This phone is designed for the majority of people that use their phone, as a phone. Mostly, those over the age of 50, that still use a "flip phone".

Sadly the 1gb ram 8gb storage configuration isn't up to today's average user. Most people I know using low end phones with better hardware are generally stuck out of storage due WhatsApp, Facebook and other social media apps and they have no clue what they are doing. The rom or the app itself hardly allow you to move the contents to external storage without root.

They will blindly purchase octacore phones not knowing only four are active simultaneously, the amount of ram, speed, and specifically NAND speed which is rarely spoken of. These people are often better off buying an older flagship.

I admire Nokia's initiative, I for one could use such phone if rooted, but I'm tech savvy and I still find my old snapdragon 801 with 2gb ram usable. (2014 Xperia Z1, Nokia 930)

Back