Home network computer accessability and printing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

barebear

I have 2 computers running XP Pro in a workgroup on a home network behind a Linksys BEFSR41 router.

I am the only person who uses or has access to them.

The first computer I set the network up on has 3 separate hard drives and a USB printer; the second has 1 hard drive with 2 partitions.

I used the Network Setup Wizard to set up both computers and then turned off the Windows firewall because I'm behind the router and have extensive antivirus and malware protections enabled

I can reboot the first computer and never have any trouble accessing the second from My Network Places.

After rebooting the second computer and when I open My Network Places and click on any icon for the first computer, a box named "Connect to....." opens and asks for a user name and password. After I enter my name and
click OK, I can access the first computer with no problem other than as follows:

Accessing the printer from the second computer is another story...
The printer icon in Control Panel on the second computer has the same network symbol characteristics as the icons in My Network Places, and is checked as default printer ( there is no other printer installed ). When right
clicked, the Sharing and Security tabs show sharing enabled and full permissions for the listed user groups.

When I right click on anything in the second computer including Notepad and PDF formats and try to print, a box appears with the message " Be sure your printer is connected properly and use Control Panel to verify that the printer is configured properly. "

Please tell me how to do the following:

1. Permanently eliminate having the username/password box ( or any other security dialogue ) appear before being able to access the first computer from the second.

2. Permanently resolve the issue of printer inaccessability from the second computer. Right now, even when I can access the drives on the first computer, I have to use the printer cd in the second computer to completely uninstall/reinstall before being able to print from the second computer. And, anytime I reboot the second computer, I have to go through the whole uninstall/reinstall procedure again before being able to print from it.

Your assistance is greatly looked forward to and appreciated!

Moderator ---Please advise if this should have been posted in another forum and transfer it there for me if applicable

you are invited to review this post

once you have done a MAP NETWORK Drive and checked the box RECONNECT,
leave them alone (ie, don't disconnect), but just shutdown any system as needed.
Then in the future, you can connect w/o the password prompt --
I connect XP to a Mac and/or Linux like this every day.

I enabled simple file sharing on both computers and thats resolved my having to enter a username/password when using the second computer to access the first.
I still can't use the printer from the second computer no matter what I do--have to go to work, when I get back will try using the printer install cd on the second computer.
Any other ideas?

barebear said:
I still can't use the printer from the second computer no matter what I do--have to go to work, when I get back will try using the printer install cd on the second computer.
Any other ideas?
you're on the right track -- all systems need the correct driver for any shared printer.
Normally, Add Printer (on the system accessing the shared, not locally attached printer) -> networked printer,
will prompt for the drivers :)

Sorry to take so long replying--work issues.
Got it fixed--enabled simple file sharing and automatically search for network printers and folders, ran the add a printer. That showed the printer installed and default, but it still wouldn't print from the second computer ---had to delete it, rebooted second computer and ran the HP reinstall cd; that finally did the trick!

Sorry to take so long replying--work issues.
Got it fixed--enabled simple file sharing and automatically search for network printers and folders, ran the add a printer. That showed the printer installed and default, but it still wouldn't print from the second computer ---had to delete it, rebooted second computer and ran the HP reinstall cd; that finally did the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back