Homeworld 3's crowdfunding campaign close to a half-million dollars, beating $1 target

midian182

Staff member
In context: Companies using crowdfunding campaigns to secure the money they need to develop a game is nothing new, but their funding goals are usually more than a single dollar, yet that’s what Gearbox is asking for Homeworld 3.

Announced at PAX West, the third main entry in the space-based RTS classic Homeworld series is being developed by Blackbird Interactive. The studio has plenty of links to the franchise; it was founded by the first title's art director, Rob Cunningham, and was responsible for the Homeworld Remastered Collection.

At the time of writing, Homeworld 3’s Fig campaign stands at $494,240 with 26 days left. But why did a company as large as Gearbox even bother with crowdfunding? Especially when it says that "we want it to be clear that the game is on a solid foundation, funding-wise."

Gearbox says the campaign offers a way for people to influence Homeworld 3's development. Backers can take part in a survey related to the game’s "features, priorities and even what the collector's edition will include."

"We've been craving the right opportunity to dive deep with a community in a way only crowdfunding offers," Gearbox wrote. "With Homeworld's incredibly patient and thoughtful community, we've got exactly that opportunity."

By using Fig, Gearbox is also inviting Homeworld fans to invest in the game. Shares can be bought for $500 each up to a maximum of $10 million, and investors get a copy of Homeworld 3. Returns will be based on the revenue generated from sales of the game.

Homeworld 3 is still a long way off, with Q4 2022 listed as a release date.

Permalink to story.

Dont they make the borderlands series?

why do they need to crowdfund a game? nothing new I guess since its so easy to fleece gamers out of money anyway.

why do they need to crowdfund a game? nothing new I guess since its so easy to fleece gamers out of money anyway.

Pretty much this. Giving people a false sense of inclusion in the development process will bring in more money than preorders ever would. Meanwhile I want someone to crowdfund a game like EVE Online but which is actually good.

"Gearbox wants backers to get involved in the game's development and invest" LOL

$500 and you can write a sticky note type message through patreon which the Devs might see but will probably just ignore. How to get paid 10x from suckers.

Pretty much this. Giving people a false sense of inclusion in the development process will bring in more money than preorders ever would. Meanwhile I want someone to crowdfund a game like EVE Online but which is actually good.
Eve Online is definitely an above average game (closer to very good for me, 75 to 80/100 - too many stars IGN). Creating a new one is something that will probably never happen ever again because of how big in scope it is and nobody wants a game that will stay in alpha state for a decade after the initial crowdfunding.

Did everyone else miss the part where Gearbox is asking for investors for that $500 option? This isn't Gearbox saying "pre-order this game we haven't even made yet from us", this is them asking for a IPO that is focused just on this game. Selecting the "invest" option gets you a share of the revenue from the game when it launches.

You know, I love me some Homeworld. This is an interesting way to push into developing a new game in a well known franchise - it's a little bit pre-order, a little bit Kickstarter, a little bit Early Access. They want to get the community feedback and have the big fans ride along for the development cycle, without having the utter chaos that community feedback can be in something like an Early Access campaign. Only those who believe in the game and the franchise will buy in, so you are (theoretically) getting a motivated bunch that have been filtered to some extent. Sort of makes sense, kind of a weird social experiment maybe. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

However, it's not something I'll be jumping into, as much as I love the Homeworld franchise. Gearbox has let me down already with Borderlands 3 and their decision to go with an Epic exclusive launch, and they are purposefully vague on how it will be released / distributed on their crowdfunding campaign site. It's 3 years off for a targeted launch date, but the bad taste is fresh in my mouth, so I'll just wait (like I am with BL3 until it hits Steam).

Because they wanted free advertising. By making a ridiculous goal of $1 and then collecting a lot more they got attention of the media, plus they checked how much the potential gamers are interested in the game. It's just a cool PR campaign.

Lol. Gearbox?! The Alien COLONial marines "developer"?! NEVER. I wouldn't trust those guys with a nickel following the state of that game.
NEVER forgive them for that, for the misleading trailers, the deceit, and the obnoxious attitude! Do you remember the gameplay trailers? Which had NOTHING to do with the actual product?
DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Back