Hot Wire A PSU

luvhuffer

My mobo is broke. I KNOW this for a fact. I can not start my system by the following methods. Case switch. Power switch onboard the mobo (it has start and reset buttons built onto the mobo). Shorting the 2 pins on the connector panel for case switch connecting leads. This backup I'm using is an old system (Pentium III) with IDE connectors only. My system hard drives are all SATA. I need to get into the system and download some legal stuff. I have tested the PSU's before by jumping the green switch wire and ground. But I've never done it to run a system for any length of time. Is this a useable workaround for about an hour or so. I don't want to damage anything or void my guarantee. I've tentatively tried it for a few seconds and it starts to post so I know it will run, I just don't want to not have thought of something before I do it and then fry it. I'm broke so new mobo is out of the question for the moment. This is my power supply.

I've tentatively tried it for a few seconds and it starts to post so I know it will run
Chances are if you were going to damage anything, you would have done so during this procedure. If you were afraid you might fry something, you shouldn't have done something that could have caused damage instantly. Since you know the system will post, you might as well go ahead and get your files. Just don't plan on continuing to run this way.

Thanks for the comments. The stupid thing just decided on it's own to start working again. Go figure?!?

Take this opportunity to back up your files. Since you don't know what caused it, it could happen again.

Back