How can I arrange my desktop icons in expandable groups?

bwarren97

Despite my desktop organization system, I have a VERY cluttered desktop (There is a screenshot attached in this thread). So I surfed the internet for a program that adds the ability to create expandable groups for icons on the desktop.

Guess what? I found no such program...for Windows XP, anyway.

Does anyone know about a program that does this? I seriously need it!

Thanks.

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot - 4.6.2012.jpg
    Desktop Screenshot - 4.6.2012.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 24
Despite my desktop organization system, I have a VERY cluttered desktop (There is a screenshot attached in this thread). So I surfed the internet for a program that adds the ability to create expandable groups for icons on the desktop.

Guess what? I found no such program...for Windows XP, anyway.

Does anyone know about a program that does this? I seriously need it!

Thanks.

What do you mean by "expandable groups"?
You could simply Right click your desktop in a blank area & on the menu that pops up,click new> folder, Give it a name like "browsers" , save it & then put the browser icons in it. Ditto for other related icons.Hope This Helps.:)

search for circle wheel dock.

not ideal if yhur desktop looks like that bit it does allow yhu to group shortcuts to icons etc.

erm whats with all those cursor icons?

james

I'd rather look for a dock instead. RocketDock is one of the best free ones out there.
Regards, Marnomancer.

I mean like when you hover over a group, or single-click on it, it will expand and show a bunch of icons. Like on the iPad.

I have my desktop icons on my taskbar. I did it this way;
Right click on your task bar at the bottom of the screen and click on “Toolbars” and then click on “Desktop”. This adds a small “Desktop>>” item to the task bar. When you click on the “>>” all your desktop icons are displayed, including their descriptions. Now, to hide your desktop icons, just right click on your desktop, click on “Arrange Icons By”, and then click on “Show Desktop Icons” (to remove the check mark). That’s all you need to do.
I may not have the prettiest pics on my desktop, but I still enjoy a clutter free desktop.See attached.
MyDESKTOP.jpg

Attachments

• My DESKTOP.JPG
    My DESKTOP.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 12
As far as your so called "iPad" icons, I've seen plenty of that style in the download sections of both Object Dock and or Rocket Dock

Object Dock
http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

Rocket Dock
http://rocketdock.com/download

You've kind of hit on a question, which is kind of "my thing"! I've been a Windows Customizer for the past 12 years. Created 100's of custom desktop looks in the process. And one of my tools of the trade are dock programs. These programs help you to "remove the clutter" that builds up on ones desktop. Also I think there's no better thing than a nice and clean desktop. To give you an example of what a dock program is, I'm going to display one of my recent creations. On the right side, which is my "primary" side of the image, take a good look towards the bottom, kind of close to the Windows taskbar, see those two rows of icons, that's Rocket Dock. I have there one of their custom Windows 7 icon packages. There are 100's of different styled icons to choose from, there's one for just about every custom desktop look out there.

trans1n.jpg

And in regards to any possible questions as to what the other stuff is on my desktop, the config's are called Rainmeter, another custom desktop tool. I'd recommend getting a firm handle of Rocket Dock before you venture into such tools as Rainemter and such.

Hope this helped.... :)

Oh yeah, by the way, in case you were wondering if all of this will work on your system, everything you see in action on my desktop is being supported on Windows XP Professional (64bit), so everything here, including the dock program is fully supported with Windows XP.

Zen how did you manage to put that image in? When I try to 'Insert Image/Picture', it just appears as an attachment.

Zen how did you manage to put that image in? When I try to 'Insert Image/Picture', it just appears as an attachment.

Hmmm.....well.....every time I go about showing off an image around here, i first upload it to my Image Shack account, grab it's "direct link" image location, come back here, click on the "insert image" button above, copy my link location within the small pop up menu, then click "ok" and presto, I can show an image. You have to make sure you use the "insert image" button above, because if you just "copy & paste" the image location directly, you will most likely get that attachment thing your talking about.

Hope this helped you out.....

I have 32bit

Oh yeah, by the way, in case you were wondering if all of this will work on your system, everything you see in action on my desktop is being supported on Windows XP Professional (64bit), so everything here, including the dock program is fully supported with Windows XP.

I have Windows XP Professional 32bit. Will that work?

I have Windows XP Professional 32bit. Will that work?

Absolutely it will work! It was back when I ran Windows XP Professional (32bit), when I first found Rocket Dock, so with both (32bit) & (64bit) it works! :grinthumb

Back