How do I remove my laptop keyboard?

learninmypc

Without going into details, about a teaspoon of shampoo got spilled on my laptop keyboard in the top left quarter. I tried posting this from it, but it was unreadable. I immediately shut it down & used a dry towel to wipe up excess but some keys still don't work :(.
Please don't tell me I have to tear my laptop apart:( The Esc key does work.
Its a VGN-CR590
I do have the manual ,but I don't think it shows how to remove the keyboard. :) TIA

You are wise not to attempt this unless you know exactly what you are doing. Sony laptops are not user friendly and I can't find a tear down guide either. The video you have found gives the impression you just order a replacement (from them) which will be quite expensive and you will be able to figure out what to do by looking for screw holes. I don't think that's likely to go well.

I've taken a couple of FZ Vaios apart and you have to remove most of the screws from the bottom then unclip a bezel which runs along the top of the keyboard. This is tricky to remove without breaking something. One screw was hard to find as t was inside the ram cover. Also, there is the tricky dis-engagement of the keyboard ribbon from the motherboard connector clip. If you break that you are in a real mess. I'm sure a laptop repair place could replace the keyboard fairly quickly but it could be hard to find a cheap replacement.

If you can find a guide on how to remove the keyboard and then take it slow and steady I reckon you'll manage this but otherwise the usb keyboard is an excellent idea. It's not something to attempt without a good guide for your particular model of laptop.

You are wise not to attempt this unless you know exactly what you are doing. Sony laptops are not user friendly and I can't find a tear down guide either. The video you have found gives the impression you just order a replacement (from them) which will be quite expensive and you will be able to figure out what to do by looking for screw holes. I don't think that's likely to go well.

I've taken a couple of FZ Vaios apart and you have to remove most of the screws from the bottom then unclip a bezel which runs along the top of the keyboard. This is tricky to remove without breaking something. One screw was hard to find as t was inside the ram cover. Also, there is the tricky dis-engagement of the keyboard ribbon from the motherboard connector clip. If you break that you are in a real mess. I'm sure a laptop repair place could replace the keyboard fairly quickly but it could be hard to find a cheap replacement.

If you can find a guide on how to remove the keyboard and then take it slow and steady I reckon you'll manage this but otherwise the usb keyboard is an excellent idea. It's not something to attempt without a good guide for your particular model of laptop.
Thank you kindly for your reply. I guess I'll just use the USB keyboard then. Money is not plentiful so... thanks again. :)

The screws that hold the keyboard are usually in the battery compartment or also located in the memory or hard drive compartments. just gently pry up the keyboard up to sense where the screws may be. You can remove the keyboard then soak it in water for a few hours and let it dry thoroughly, then re-assemble it. The USB keyboard will still work as a temporary fix till the original keyboard is re-instaaled

2014-11-08 12-35-17.018.jpg
Thats the area where the shampoo was spilled. I have "gently" tried to pry the keyboard up,but no success yet. In a bit, I'll have a look at the area(s) you mentioned for the screws. Thanks :)

Those battery compartment screws may need to come out so you can remove the top cover that surrounds the keyboard. Can you provide a full top keyboard pic?

Remove all the battery compartment screws and gently pry up the corner of the top near the corner of the display hinge making sure that the laptop is fully open. When the top (including the touch panel) is removed, the keyboard screws may be seen. Be careful with the compression flat cable connectors. They are delicate. I use a fingernail to pop them open

CRAP, my screw driver won't budge it:mad: I even tried using my pliers on the screw driver but no go. I'm going to have to put this off till I get a BIGGER handled screw driver. Thanks.

Screwdriver tip: Always use the largest screwdriver that will fit to avoid stripping out the screw head. This applies to both Phillips and slotted screws. A smaller screwdriver might work but you risk damaging the fastener. Also, in the unlikely event you have a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdriver, use that first. Phillips head screws and screwdrivers are designed to cam out when highly torqued as a "built-in" mechanism to avoid over tightening but it tends to damage the fastener. A JIS screwdriver is designed specifically for JIS fasteners and is designed not to cam out. When used on a Phillips screw, it still tends not to cam out so it gives a better grip on the screw.

JIS fasteners are used primarily on Asian built vehicles and other products. I can't say if Asian built electronics also adhere to the JIS standard. JIS screwdrivers are not particularly common in the USA and I think many mechanics and technicians aren't fully aware of the difference between JIS and Phillips. But, as I said, JIS also works great on Phillips. The other way around also works but not as well.

Thank you. I think the screwdriver set I'm using are jewelers type. The hand part of them2014-11-08 18-36-13.054.jpg is very skinny. Thats not the one I was using, but like it.

How well does the screwdriver fit the screws? Loose? Just right/snug? If it is just right, then you have the right screwdriver tip size but not necessarily the right tool for the job as you already found out. Just make sure the screwdriver tips aren't too small. One that is too big won't fit at all but one that is too small can fit but can also damage the screw.

It fits the screw real snug but its an "b"itch to turn the screw driver. I'll try again tomorrow,thanks. :)

Maybe you can go to a nearby Sears, Orchard Supply, Ace Hardware or Kmart and pick up a bigger handled screwdriver. They all carry Craftsman tools now. I only mention Craftsman because they are sold all over the place but any brand you like will do. If it matters to you, their screwdrivers are still made in the USA as opposed to their wrenches and sockets which are now made in China.

The jewellers type screwdriver you have is what I used on the FZ. I have a mini mole wrench and used it for a little extra leverage. Beware little plastic locking tabs which hold things together even when screws are removed. On the FZ they are inside the battery compartment and there are some that only visible when you remove the DVD drive. It's valuable to have help from someone who has successfully or even unsuccessfully taken one apart and can warn you about what is going to break. The problem is knowing the difference between where something can be pried apart although it's a bit stiff and where something is holding things together that you aren't aware of until it's too late.

Ok, please allow me to say that if this is going to require me to disassemble my laptop in to many pieces, I don't want to proceed simply because I fear not being able to get it back together & it functioning properly again. :(

Maybe you can go to a nearby Sears, Orchard Supply, Ace Hardware or Kmart and pick up a bigger handled screwdriver. They all carry Craftsman tools now. I only mention Craftsman because they are sold all over the place but any brand you like will do. If it matters to you, their screwdrivers are still made in the USA as opposed to their wrenches and sockets which are now made in China.
Sorry, I didn't see your post. I wish it was that simple for me, but on my limited income, its not that easy to go buy a screw driver. I'll either have to wait till later this week to borrow one or wait till my landlord gets back to borrow one from him. Thank you. :)

Ok, I screwed up. Saturday night when I put it back together, evidently I didn't get BOTH of the RAM put in correctly2014-11-09 17-12-57.742.jpg Does that look correct or ??? I have taken both out & put them back in but my Belarc still says there is one empty slot. Belarc says I have 1024 MB which I'm guessing is one GB?

If you spill a drink on the keyboard, even water, this starts corrosion. If it was undiluted shampoo that splashed on the keyboard it may be possible to save it. I've read that if a keyboard is dunked thoroughly in distilled water it will wash away dirt. In your situation this might dissolve away the sticky residue of shampoo. After doing this it would take ages for the keyboard to dry out thoroughly but if you are patient and put it in a warm place for a couple of days the keys might all work again. Maybe worth a try before buying a replacement.

If you spill a drink on the keyboard, even water, this starts corrosion. If it was undiluted shampoo that splashed on the keyboard it may be possible to save it. I've read that if a keyboard is dunked thoroughly in distilled water it will wash away dirt. In your situation this might dissolve away the sticky residue of shampoo. After doing this it would take ages for the keyboard to dry out thoroughly but if you are patient and put it in a warm place for a couple of days the keys might all work again. Maybe worth a try before buying a replacement.
Well, I have no intention of replacing the keyboard, I simply hope to remove the keyboard, clean it & put it back in. If that is not possible, I'll continue using the USB keyboard I've been using. :)

Back