How do I use CAB SDK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andros_Forever

Hello dear members of the TechSpot Forum,
I am trying to Install Windows XP on my external Hard Drive and I have to edit files in my Windows XP Iso. These are the instructions.

Use the Cab SDK (from the command line) for extracting the contents of the .IN_ files. Each of them contains exactly one .inf file. If you are unsure how to use the Cab SDK, here is an example command line: "cabarc x USBSTOR.IN_" . You should end up with three new files in the folder, called:

* usb.inf
* usbport.inf
* usbstor.inf

You can now delete the .IN_ files.

What am I supposed to do? I tried running the exe in the Bin folder and a little screen appears for a fraction of a second and disappears. I've tried running it from the Run... and typed cmd, then put in "cabarc x USBSTOR.IN_". What am I supposed to do?

I had posted the steps here, however I decided to put them in a txt file that I will attach to a new post..Srry for any confusion or problems this may cause.

I used wordpad to create the txt file so I had to zip it to be able to upload it. Hope it fixes your problem.

Attachments

• External HD Boot.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,906
nobardin thanks for the Manual. I tried to read the manual, but for me it's like reading Arabic. Is there a simpler way to do this? Is it possible to receive a link to an Iso of WinXP with this work already done? I have my own copy with my own cd-key, so it should be arlight.

When I use the CAB SDK Cabarc.exe It shows a cmd screen for a split second and then it auto-shuts down...whats going on? Is there another way to extract .in_ files?

Ok here are the simple and complete directions for extracting the files you need.
The guide I posted earlier should get you through the rest of the process "section 6 on". Just take your time and don't worry if you need to read the same sentence 3-4-5 times over to understand it ( I do it all the time). If you need help with the rest of it just let us know.

Also here is the URL for WinIso http://www.winiso.com/

Attachments

• Extracting files.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 3,415
Nobardin when I got the first "Operation Successful" I could have kissed you XD
wow, I've been trying so hard these last few days and your guide was PERFECT, it didn't assume I knew how to do everything and it SIMPLY listed the steps needed to use CAB SDK. MAJOR PROPS to you in my book, this is what a Guide should look like. Now Ill go ahead and try to install the modified XP for my USB boot and let you know how it went. Txs again man ;)

Hey np at all. If you get stuck or need any help with the rest of it, just let us know. Let us know how it goes..if you get it installed or if you don't. Glad we could help you out.

Ok, I have successfully edited those files which I had extracted from the WinXP cd Iso file... Now I am having problems editing that Iso file so that I can delete the old ones and put in the new ones that I have edited. I dont have WinIso but I do have UltraIso Premium 9.0. It says that it is possible to EDIT iso files with that, but It does not specify how. Is it possible for you to help me out with this with a simple step guide. Thanks :)

Sure just give me a bit..will post it back here soon. Also did you recompile the files that you extracted back into their .IN_ form?

Here it is. If you need help with anything else feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Editing the iso file.zip
    785 bytes · Views: 1,281
Hey txs again bud, and yes I did recompile them back to the .IN_ format. Before coming back to the forum I did find a good program for creating .iso files called ISORecorderV3RC and used that to recompile the XP folder back into an .iso. It worked and the computer recognizes the iso now I am going to go ahead and try to install XP on my external hard drive... wish me luck :p I will let you know if it was successful

Hey I just tried installing XP and it was going along fine until it got to USB.inf, it said that it was having problems and that I could skip it or end the setup, so I chose to end the installation process. Maibe I did something wrong while editing it? I just went over the usb.inf again and everything seems to be correct. Should I just skip it?

Ok, I tried doing the setup again and I skipped the first usb.inf file that it said could not be copied and went on to see that all the .inf files I modified "cannot be copied" and finally the USBBOOT.INF that I created is corrupted in line 3. :(

Hi Andros_Forever,

I hope this problem gets solved for you eventually
But in the mean time, instead of replying to yourself, use EDIT instead
You can just leave a couple of spaces (like paragraphs) in your adding to previous post

Edit:

Oh you just went offline :(

OK, I will look into the issue and see what I can do. We will get this resolved for you.

I think I know what happened..when you were repacking the files you must have entered the commands wrong and it created the file, however it was blank. Just a guess because I did that a few times until I realised what I was doing wrong.

I sent you a PM Andros.

I'll check back a bit later and see if you've been around. I am on Eastern time in the US. If I don't get back to you right away don't worry..I will!! I am in this until we get it resolved or until you tell me to stop helping you =p

Alright, I appreciate your dedication and yes I believe that option number one should do. If you can post those edited files plus the USBBOOT.inf it would be great ;)

Oh, btw I forgot to mention I am running on a Laptop and can't unhook my internal drives manually. Also, when I go to install Windows XP, the OS does not recognize the hard drive partitions, only the external USB hard drive.

hmm the files overall size is to big to attach in one post( Have 2 sets of the files which would take 4 posts to post them all). I am going to send you a PM with my e-mail address. If you would like me to e-mail them to you let me know by sending me a PM with your e-mail address or an E-mail I can reply to.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that I can break them up and post them here over multiple posts. However, I'd rather not spam the thread like that. Just let me know how you would like to handle this and I will be more than happy to get them to you one way or the other =).

Something else I was thinking about. Have you already formatted the USB HD? Not installed anything on it. just formatted it and made a valid file system on it...preferably NTFS.

Edit

I sent the e-mail with the edited files. Hope it works for you. If not just let us know and we'll continue to diagnose possible causes
Oh yeah and make that 3 sets of files. I found some additional inf settings that may help and included it in the 3rd set of the files

I'm guessing either the files worked or you got to tired and went to bed hehe. Let us know if it woked or not, and let me know which set worked for you if any. Thank you.

Heh yea I got tired last night and went to bed. Yes, I already formatted the drive to NTFS (full). I tried all 3 of the file sets and every time I got to the installation after formatting to NTFS (Quick), and the TXTSETUP.SIF file gave an error and setup had to quit. I tried using the TXTSETUP.SIF that I had edited and the Installation went through with no errors... but when I try to boot from the external drive to start Windows XP all I get is a black screen...going to keep trying. Let me know if you find anything else :_)

Have you looked in your bios to see if you can change the 1st boot device to anything usb related?

1) Does your computer support booting from USB?

Usually, if its an option in your BIOS boot sequence menu, the answer to this is yes. If its not there proceed and see what happens ;-)

2) Sorting out the "Bootability" of your USB-Drive

Connect your USB drive to your computer, directly, without a Hub. Then, shut down your computer, disconnect any other hard disk drives from it, and insert your original Windows XP CD into the drive. Start the installation, and proceed to the section where you are allowed to pick a hard drive. If it goes beyond the partition selection, your drive is already fine for booting Windows XP.

Also you could try removing your other hard drive from the bios since you can't unhook it. If you need any explanation on how to do so let me know.

I will keep looking around.

It figures I would mess up one of the simple edits of the files haha. Sorry about that.

Yes I set the USB Hard drive to boot before the Internal Laptop Hard Drive in the BIOS. It boots from the External Drive but all I get is a black screen. I had managed to get to the XP loading page before but then It would crash and give me the BSOD. I will try again though with another XP installation Disk.

Alright I have tried again with a different disk but no luck... let me know if you find anything... once again I am running a laptop on Vista. If you need to know the model its HP Pavillion dv9000. Thanks for your help and hopefully we can find a way to accomplish this mission. Maibe we have been going at it wrong. Maibe we need to focus on making Vista recognize USB Windows XP boot and not interfere?

CAB SDK problem

nobardin said:
Ok here are the simple and complete directions for extracting the files you need.
The guide I posted earlier should get you through the rest of the process "section 6 on". Just take your time and don't worry if you need to read the same sentence 3-4-5 times over to understand it ( I do it all the time). If you need help with the rest of it just let us know.

Hello everyone
I am having the same problems as Adros mentioned earlier about using the CAB SDK files. I have tried to follow your guide nobardin but can't get it to work!! Let me exlain what happens, I have extracted the files that are needed (from the ISO) to a suitable folder on the hard disk. I then used the run, cmd prompt and navigate to the folder. ... so far so good. Then in your instructions there is mention of a folder called BIN - I haven't got that?!!??? I have tried typing in carb x USBSTROR.IN_ and all that happens is the command prompt says that carb is not recognised. Can anyone help please? Is there a simpler way to use these CAB files? Thanks
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back