How easy is it to remove a partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

In the interest of installing windows 7, I'm going to make a 30 or so gb partition on my c drive, because it is the fastest. But on April first, when windows expires, I'm going to have a usless 30 gb partition. How dfficult would it be to rejoin the partition with the rest of the drive? And obviously I will not care about sparing the data on the partition.

kimsland

It might be best to install the Beta Windows 7 on a clean drive
Then wipe (or remove) the partition, once completed testing

Being Beta, it is unknown precisely what damage it may cause to an existing OS

Technochicken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I do not have a clean drive, how would you reccomend installing it? Or would it be best just not to install it?

kimsland

I'm concerned about your boot config being edited (even across partitions)
Ideally I'd suggest using another (clean) drive

Please note: I have not tried Windows7 myself (as yet)

Technochicken

Oh well. I'll probably be able to scrounge up a harddrive from somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Ultiweap

Making it on a clean drive is a good thing as you can delete it easily and put the boot config in order later. Also Windows 7 Build 7000 is very nice and in performance is largely over XP and Vista as it is an completely fluid OS even on a beta version.

Now if you don't know if you want to use a partition or buy a new HDD you can also use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 or Vmware Workstation to make a Virtual OS of Windows 7 with its DVD and it is like a normal OS just that it is Virtual and it take part of the RAM free.

Technochicken

I downloaded the 64 bit version, so I can't run it in virtual pc. I tried downloading the 32 bit version, but the download kept cutting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.