How good are Biostar motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bank on them, but then thats just my personal opinion.

ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, and ASRock are the board makers I would select from.

Many reviews I've seen have Gigabyte boards testing best or close to it, with respect to performance issues like overclocking.

So, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to overclock, maybe stick with Gigabyte or Asus.

If you just want a mainstream machine, and budget is an issue, (and when isn't it), MSI might work out for you.

In years past when the Intel LGA-775 socket ruled, Gigabyte boards always seemed to support more CPU numbers than most other makers.

I don't think that's as much of a consideration today, since there are fewer CPU SKUs per socket type, across more different sockets in current usage. (Only speaking to Intel here, I don't claim AMD as a second language).

I like gigabyte as well but Biostar has a few nice budget oriented motherboards.
We can probably give a better answer if you tell us what you're trying to do or if you have a question on a specific board or price range.

I like gigabyte as well but Biostar has a few nice budget oriented motherboards.
We can probably give a better answer if you tell us what you're trying to do or if you have a question on a specific board or price range.

thanks bro for ur interested.I am going to biuld a gaming pc.very soon I will describe my config with u.I need ur opinion before buying.

I personally like ASUS boards because of their reliability and the fact that they use Realtek which provides drivers every once if you have an issue and need a new driver while on the Gigabyte board, they use Atheros if I am not mistaken which I cannot seem to find drivers for.

I personally like ASUS boards because of their reliability and the fact that they use Realtek which provides drivers every once if you have an issue and need a new driver while on the Gigabyte board, they use Atheros if I am not mistaken which I cannot seem to find drivers for.
ATM, I'm sitting behind two Gigabyte based machines, both with Realtek audio and NIC drivers . Perhaps you'll clarify.

Maybe it was a certain board I used that didnt have realtek.
Actually, I just pulled my Z77 Intel board out of the box (Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H), and lo and behold, it has VIA sound, and Atheros LAN. These drivers are on the Gigabyte website for download. I did some more digging, and found out the other recent Intel sockets (1156, 1366, and even 2011 (X79 chipset)), all have Realtek Audio and LAN! (I didn't check every board SKU, but everything else Intel I pulled up had Realtek. I have 3 LGA-775 boards and all are Realtek. (But I suppose who cares since they're ancient history.

So, Intel Z77, for whatever reason, seems to be the exception to the Realtek rule.

Anyway, Atheros drivers are ostensibly available from Gigabyte. Most of their boards are still Realtek anyway.

(I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I can't speak AMD, so I can't tell you anything about how those are equipped).

Actually, I just pulled my Z77 Intel board out of the box (Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H), and lo and behold, it has VIA sound, and Atheros LAN. These drivers are on the Gigabyte website for download. I did some more digging, and found out the other recent Intel sockets (1156, 1366, and even 2011 (X79 chipset)), all have Realtek Audio and LAN! (I didn't check every board SKU, but everything else Intel I pulled up had Realtek. I have 3 LGA-775 boards and all are Realtek. (But I suppose who cares since they're ancient history.

So, Intel Z77, for whatever reason, seems to be the exception to the Realtek rule.

Anyway, Atheros drivers are ostensibly available from Gigabyte. Most of their boards are still Realtek anyway.

(I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I can't speak AMD, so I can't tell you anything about how those are equipped).
That is interesting. Motherboard manufacturers stop supporting the board after 1 or 2 driver releases usually (not BIOS).

Biostar has been around for a LONG time. In fact, the motherboard in my first build was a Biostar Baby-AT back in 1988 and it did the job nicely. I hadn't had a Biostar motherboard since because they weren't easy to find in Canada (more like impossible). However, Canada Computers had some crazy-cheap clearance sale on the Biostar A320MH about a year ago for $40 and I grabbed one just for the novelty of it and the fact that it was an AM4 motherboard for under $50CAD. I've tinkered with it and sure enough, it works just fine.

My 34½ years of building PCs (and a couple working at Tiger Direct) have taught me that ALL brands of motherboards (and video cards for that matter) are more or less the same. This is a motherboard we're talking about here and that's not something that you can make in your backyard. Advanced production machinery and extensive technical know-how are required to make even the simplest of them. All of the motherboard producers know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back