How hot is too hot??? (for a Barton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaroddog

Hello all,

I've got an AMD processor under scrutiny here. It's an Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton). I had a hardware problem which I narrowed down to either the motherboard or cpu. Well, I switched mobos last night and I got Windows XP loaded this morning. I'm running Prime95 right now (it's been going about 7 hours). With my old motherboard, I saw temperatures at about 34 C idle and 45 C load. With this new motherboard, I'm running at 43-47 C idle and 53-54 C under load. Is this too hot? I'm using the same heatsink/fan setup and the same goop as before (Arctic Silver 5). What do you think is causing this? Do I need to be worried, or are these temps that bad? Any opinions/experiences would be appreciated.

Jarod

Those temps are fine.

Maybe your other mobo was reporting temps that were too low.

Also, it does take a while for the new thermal paste to bed in properly.

Regards Howard :)

Yeah, I was hoping they would drop after the Arctic Silver settled in a bit. I've had a few computers drop quite a few degrees after the burn-in period is achieved. I didn't know how a Barton was supposed to run. With all these new, cool running 64 bit cpus being talked about, it makes me forget the days of the hot running T-breds. Thanks Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back