How many GHz in a good gaming CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Hello.

I'm just wondering, how many GHz should a good gaming CPU have? Mine currently has 2.13 GHz. It is a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB. Would this Processor be ideal for games like WoW?

thanks.

Yup, 2Ghz + will be good!!!!

But its not just the cpu's core speed that makes all the difference, for gaming, the choice of graphics card, ram , and motherboard are equaly important!!!!

rik said:
Yup, 2Ghz + will be good!!!!

But its not just the cpu's core speed that makes all the difference, for gaming, the choice of graphics card, ram , and motherboard are equaly important!!!!

Well, here's what I'm looking at right now:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB

Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Motherboard

1GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 512MB

512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT

Will those guys be able to Run WoW Really smooth? I really want to (for once) play WoW relativley lag-free.

Man your Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz Will Kick the **** outa the 3.2ghz!
Its not all about clock speeds anymore!

The core speed doesnt necesarily matter, it is other factors such as the L2 Cache, and what the cpu does in each cycle. Manufacturers are actually trying to lower cpu speeds because the higher the speed, the higher the power consumption, heat and less durability. Intel core 2 duo's are a perfect example of this. Their low core speed but high L2 caches among others make for a great CPU.

Korrupt

I play WoW on a 1.5 Gh with 384 megs of ram and a 64 meg video card and i run fairly nice for being on dial up.

Blackjack said:
Well, here's what I'm looking at right now:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB

Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Motherboard

1GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 512MB

512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT

Will those guys be able to Run WoW Really smooth? I really want to (for once) play WoW relativley lag-free.

Man, with that machine, WoW will run absolutely lag-free. Your CPU kicks @ss. It easily beats a 3.8 Ghz P4 or a dual-crap (oops, I meant dual core ;) ) Pentium D CPU.

I wouldnt go with an alienware myself.

1-they are incredibly overpriced
2-they often lack quality in the "non brand name" parts. Just as an example, you can buy a 7600gt for $120 and you can buy one for $200. Obviously Alienware will put in the $120 because it will provide the same performance but wont run as reliably, last as long and stay as cool as the $200 one.
3-Alienware is owned by dell, I personally don't like Dells.
4-Really youre paying for a good looking case. Just buy your own proper brandname parts, and if you want to, get a customised case. This will work better, longer and will definately be A LOT cheaper (we're talking about 40% cheaper here)

Korrupt

Yes I argee with Korrupt, basicly all an Alienware system is a computer with lower grade parts with a shorter life span than it should for the price then basicly all yor paying for is the Alienware name on a flashly high end looking case with a computer that performs great but doesnt last long. Also Alienswares parents company is Dell so basicly yeah Alienware deff. got worse since Dell bought them out Dell's system arent that great. Also if you build your own you can most likey upgrade it for the future most manfactured pc's you cant upgrade much so you buy a new one thats there game in the market and paying for an ALienware I would want it to last a few years and I can bet your going to want to upgrade your pc within the next few years and then it will be to the max and nothing else can be added then you most likey have to get another one if you want more power thats there marketing and it does work. But yes also if ou build your own you can put the good parts in not the cheap ones that dont have a long life span.

Core 2 Duos are the way to go for a new gaming build. However, most good mobos for them are quite expensive. In that case, AMD's Socket 939 is a great alternative. Intel's Core 2 Duo line is the only one worth talking about here, since all their other CPUs are bested by AMD's Athlon 64 line. So AMD is a good, cheap alternative to Intel, especially so since Socket 939 is being phased out, so killer deals can be found pretty easily.

I've posted a couple threads, and I've been told Alienware is a big rip-off and I can make a better, home-made PC for way less. Thanks everyone, I think Im gunna be building my own!

korrupt said:
The core speed doesnt necesarily matter, it is other factors such as the L2 Cache, and what the cpu does in each cycle. Manufacturers are actually trying to lower cpu speeds because the higher the speed, the higher the power consumption, heat and less durability. Intel core 2 duo's are a perfect example of this. Their low core speed but high L2 caches among others make for a great CPU.

Korrupt

I completely agree. Look at the celeron series. An AMD Athlon 64 3000+ will @ 2.0GHz will beat the 3.0GHz celeron by a long shot (And I mean a long shot, I mean the Athlon has twice the l2 and l1 cache) :evil:

That's obvious, because a Celeron is not supposed to be a mainstream CPU. It is a budget CPU, so it cannot compete with more powerful mainstream products.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
That's obvious, because a Celeron is not supposed to be a mainstream CPU. It is a budget CPU, so it cannot compete with more powerful mainstream products.

I know, but not all people tend to know these things. They look at the cpu speed over the other components of the cpu.

Yeah, when I had my Celery D 2.8, my uncle thought that it was almost as fast as my cousin's 3.0 Ghz P4 :haha:, and faster than his Athlon XP 2700+...

He said:

"Wow :eek:, an Intel 2.8 Ghz CPU... That's phenomenal" :haha: :haha:

My e member grows...

I have the following rig for gaming..

AMD64 Athlon 4200+ Dual Core @3GiG o'clocked from 2.2 per bank
1.5GiG Ram Nanya tech DDR2
Gigabyte K8Triton nForce 4 SLI MoBo
ATI Radeon X1900XTX Video Card
Samsung SyncMaster 940BF 2ms response time Monitor
Hiper Power 480Watt PSU
A4tech optical mouse with 8 function buttons
7 Strategically placed cooling fans..
A large electric bill!! =D joking it does not cost that much..

The case is from an older Packard Bell comp an Ixtreme.. I rewired it and built everything in the computer myself...

The thing is that I did it bit by bit and got the processor and MoBo one stick of ram to start and then added to it eventually getting the XTX as the finishing touch..

All that I can say is that I score 6600 3D Mark06 when I benchmark it and no matter what game I play I can run the settings on ultra and still get 40FPS min.

To get THAT spec CPU in a high street expect to shell out at least £1700
(But you would have to get it specially built for you)
I payed £600 with everything.. I also feel proud of myself for doing it too.

Had a Virus =( pissed me off but all is well now... THANKS TO YOU GUYS AND THIS WEBSITE! WOOT!

Like korrupt said, CPU clock cycle speed is almost completely irrelevant when it comes to gaming performance.

And buying an Alienware is like buying Mercedes-Benz. It costs an arm and a leg and looks fancy, but it breaks down before you can drive it away from the dealership.

I have a Honda Accord. It never breaks down. I hadn't need to do anything to it beside pumping gas and oil change for the past ten years.

satchmo said:
I have a Honda Accord. It never breaks down. I hadn't need to do anything to it beside pumping gas and oil change for the past ten years.

Good cars aren't they? :)

I have a good old Chevrolet Celebrity 1985, and it still works VERY well!! :)

wolfram said:
Good cars aren't they? :)

I have a good old Chevrolet Celebrity 1985, and it still works VERY well!! :)

My good old car is a 1993 Mercedes 190E 2.3, the stupid thing's gasket cover went, causing oil to leak through the engine! Now I need to come up with the money to fix it.

Money hehe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ especially with Mercedes Benz :unch:

I love my Celebrity, is so cheap to fix most things, and we can fix it ourselves :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back