How much can I overclock my pentium d 805 2.66ghz to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosebleedXD

my computer is just a regular one, no crazy case with fans and heat sinks and etc

i already oc'd it to 3.06 ghz and i was wondering if you can oc it anymore

i tried 3.2ghz but then i think it corrupted my windows files? i have no idea and I wasn't able to connect to my internet and each time I restarted my computer or pressed the restart button it shut down.

Anyways i set my vcore to 1.2125 and my speed to 153

great.... i tried 194 and a vcore of 1.4v computer didn't load

then it said over voltage when i rebooted

tried to set it back to my 3.06ghz settings, comp kept restarting, now im back to 2.66ghz where i started off at ....

gosh what did i do wrong

btw i have an asus p5l-vm

I remember post about this cpu at 5Ghz on liquid nitrogen. with the x20 multiplier on it, go get you a decent oc'ing mobo, lga 775 asus psb etc or better with a 5-60 dollar cooler and you could get 3.8ghz easy.

ok so basically my comp has no case fans or such atm

what is my comp capable of going up to

and btw im new to this oc'ing thing first time to ever even try

so the highest i've gotten up to right now is 153mhz with a vcore of 1.2125 but now it won't even work cause i did red1776's method...

but i will try again

what is the multiplier that you're using? That vcore is too low ! Try 1.4 volts just to see if it boots, if it does boot, drop the vcore by .01 until its no longer stable through the operating system. These are simple steps. I'll be here for a few hours, so get it going and let me know what happens.

kk it boost again i set it to 1.125 rofl thats why my 3.06ghz settings wasnt working

anyways... could i go any higher than 3.06ghz atm? i think i'll put in like 20-50 bucks for a new cpu cooler if thats the case

thanks super btw and my thing is x20 atm

ehh, I'm looking at 3.5ghz or higher with a new cooler, Try a vcore of 1.3 and increase the fsb, try to get the speed to 3.3-3.4 Ghz. If you can do that and it runs stable, i mean running the cpu generally with more than 70% cpu usage for a few hours you should be fine.

Overclocking is a careful process, luckily a lot of safety measures have been implimented into our hardware so that we wont burn things out. Just increase your settings a little at a time(vcore and fsb) and see where your limit is. 2 mins of a cpu runnin hot wont kill you, nor the machine.

oh ehhh, just saw your private message.

Since you're new to this you need to know that you're kind of in a sweet spot as far as possibililties. You're running one of the most under estimated cpus of 2006, and luckily it runs on boards that are sold today. 20x muliplier, dual core, is a pretty good place to be if you cant afford to put out cash right now. 175fsbx20=3.5Ghz.

Motherboards today run up to 450fsb with w/e multiplier is available. Your largest challenge will be keeping the cpu cool and supplying enough voltage so that it remains stable. Remember, start small with increases, check your temperatures and stability. You should be fine.

HI XD,
hey dont shoot the messenger:D, all I did was let ya know that your cpu has alot of potential and point to an article on how someone else got there. overclocking can be as easy or involved as you want to make it depending on how high a frequency you want to reach ,or how useful you want the results to be. there are some great guides out there specifically about overclocking your 805 D, I wish i had known that it was your first attempt at OC'ing, i would have tried to be more specific about the different methods. but Super is right, at the risk of getting impugned, admonished, and castigated by fellow TS'ers, CPU's are alot tougher than many will tell you. as long as you are mindful of your temps, dont overvolt the thing,and understand the inherent risk that comes with modding anything electronic. it will let you know that it doesnt like what you are doing by freezing up or rebooting, which is to be expected many times while attempting to achieve a stable and useful overclock, anywho looks like Super's got ya covered, but let me know if I can help.

alright thanks guys, well i think i might get a new pc anyways soon so this is just for temporary

i will try different voltages and see if i can get my speed faster. My oc is weak atm =[

oh and btw if i go for like 3.2ghz, whenever i boot my pc my windows is messed and when i try to restart, comp crashes

am i not providing it enough voltage? if so how much

ooh i just found my mobo http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=194&l4=0&model=1324&modelmenu=2

kk i found out my limit for my bus speed is 157mhz and even 1 higher will cause my comp to screw up
(multiplier = x20) meaning current core speed is 3.13ghz

my vcore is set to 1.225

once again when i mean if i go any higher, comp will be unstable, comp crashes if you press restart button and windows is messed up

is there any other suggestions o_O anything else i should know about i need to modify in bios

Hey XD,
say what memory do you have in there? The reason I ask is that if all your doing is pushing the FSB up (which is all this processor usaully takes to get to 3.5Ghz or better) its OC'ing everything cuz everything is connected to the FSB. need to isolate things to find out where the weak link is.

System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

sorry =[ but i read the techspot sticky and i guess my knowlegdge isn't so great yet

That should be able to reach 3.8 GHz. Just crank the Vcore right up to like 1.37v and see how high you can go.

hello everybody

hello every body.i'm trying to overclock my intel core 2 duo 6300.from 266 mhz i raised my fsb to 300 and i got 2.1 ghz from 1.86 wich is the default.i'm trying to raise it more but it didn't boot at all,can anyone help me cause it's the first time i'm doing it.should i set my ram from 533 to 667?but i don't know if my ram supports 667?how can i set it up?

hello every body.i'm trying to overclock my intel core 2 duo 6300.from 266 mhz i raised my fsb to 300 and i got 2.1 ghz from 1.86 wich is the default.i'm trying to raise it more but it didn't boot at all,can anyone help me cause it's the first time i'm doing it.should i set my ram from 533 to 667?but i don't know if my ram supports 667?how can i set it up?

be courteous, dont jack another person's thread.

i know eh =]

btw i got red to help me, he said it was my ram that was stopping me from going any higher, as in my comp crashing when restarting as i reach over 3.2ghz and windows not functioning properly

and super do you have msn? im email removed

and metal x, on stock cooler? i don't think so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back