How to boot from Slave Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my problem: I have a PC with a ATA hard drive with Windows 2003 Server. This
setup is fine. Recently I got a 160GB Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA hard drive.
When I open up the case to install, I notice that the old HD is configured as a master on the primary controller.
So I put my new Seagate into one of the slot and choose the 'Cable Select' setting. Both HD's jumper
setting is on neither master or slave. So their desgination is now dictated by the ATA ribbon cable connection.
I plug the master (black) plug into the Seagate and the slave plug into the old HD. My question is:
now that my OS is on the slave drive, how do I boot the OS from. I don't see an option
on the boot sequence to boot from the slave HD. I can only select the HD drive letter which is C.
Obviosuly I get an error because it is now booting from the Seagate drive which is freshly formatted. But
it won't try to boot from the slave HD. Can someone please advise on how to boot from the slave drive
or do I have to switch the HD around? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`d recommend you to jumper the hdd`s as master, and slave.

You should then have no problem in booting from whichever drive you like.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I had the same problem, though I have Windows XP. When you restart the computer press F8, it will give you all the drives you can boot from. Oddly, my old (slave) hard drive was not in there, but it did recognize the new empty Master drive. I pressed ESC to use the default boot settings. And it worked. My computer rebooted.

But now there was another problem. The new hard drive ( Western Digital 500g)was not recognized. The I remembered it came with a cd-rom. I installed it, and wih the wizard, it helped me set the new drive as the master drive. It also partition and formatted it. The utility software also copied all the bootable flies plus everything else in my old C drive to the new one.

Make sure you run the utility drive that comes with you new had drive. Mine saved me a lot of headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back