How to format ext2/3 partitions from Win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klohgloh

Hello,
I need to format a harddrive which has only ext2 (or ext3) partitions on it. Windows can't work with those by default so I cant do the "right click" format.
I can't run a live OS to do so.
I also installed the IFS drivers which should implement the ability of working with those file systems in Windows but it doesn't work for some reason.
So is there any other way of formating the drive from Windows? BIOS recognizes the disc.
Thanks for help.

Use the Windows CD and do a full install. It should offer to takeover the HD and format it.

Does accessing the drive in disk management and destroying/recreating that partition work?

There are a few different options / considerations.
  1. You can start by reviewing How to partition and format a hard disk by using Windows XP Setup program
  2. Depending on your access to an XP CD and/or Windows XP tools you currently find on your hard drive, you may also reformat using the XP recovery console. If need be, the recovery console itself is not limited distribution (meaning you can legally download an .iso image of the XP Professional Recovery Console from the internet and then burn it to create a CD for the Recovery Console). Give a holler if you need more info to pursue this option

Use the Windows CD and do a full install. It should offer to takeover the HD and format it.
Thats it. I actually tried this before, but as the setup found another HD with NTFS or whatever it didnt offer me the formating menu. So pluging ONLY the HD with ext2 partitions worked fine. (the reason why Windows didnt see the HD at all was that the hd was connected as slave. on master its seen alrighty)
Thanks to all of you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back