How to Format Windows 10 DVD disc

PhilipMoore62

Hi,
My problem is that I'm unable to format or burn to my DVD disc windows 10 version 17692 insider preview OS.
I get the error message reading that Windows is unable to format disc.
I've spent literally hours searching through Windows fix it posts to include attempting the fix it tool that MS provides but no joy.

I have the program EaseUS partition manager in which I attempted to use it to set the dvd to be found to include trying to format the DVD write able disc with once again no luck.

I should say that this was an issue prior to my latest 17692 update.

In advance thank you for helping out. I work very hard to not bug you guys but this problem has stumped me.

Thanks!

Normally, we just BURN the ISO directly to the media. The only reason to 'format' is to create a R/W dvd.

I'm trying to burn an ISO of hirens boot cd such that I can use the DVD on an older Toshiba laptop. Windows 7 home version
When I attempt to 'burn' the iso file to dvd it attempts to format the disc resulting in the error message.

I'm on Win/7; Create a shortcut to the DVD device and place it on the desktop.

Now drag-n-drop your ISO onto the short cut. When you load media into the device, it will prompt to Burn to Disk?

I'm trying to burn an ISO of hirens boot cd such that I can use the DVD on an older Toshiba laptop. Windows 7 home version
When I attempt to 'burn' the iso file to dvd it attempts to format the disc resulting in the error message.

If you have the iso do a checksum over it to make sure there are no internal errors.
Next you want to use this power iso, during installation remember to ignore the bloatware/stupidware it offers.
https://www.poweriso.com/download.php
If it says do you want windows washer 1.0, you hit decline, then it will move on to prompt you to install it.

upload_2018-7-17_7-12-22.png upload_2018-7-17_7-12-22.png
I'm on Win/7; Create a shortcut to the DVD device and place it on the desktop.

Now drag-n-drop your ISO onto the short cut. When you load media into the device, it will prompt to Burn to Disk?

Hi JoBeard, Thanks for your prompt reply. I created the shortcut to the DVD to my desktop and followed your directions.
When the dvd device attempts to format using PowerISO program I get the message that it was unable to format the drive.I researched the error message learning this has to do with the ios program. I did the hash mds5 verify which checked out positive.
I am admitting to a bit of frustration, not something I'm proud to admit to. haha

upload_2018-7-17_7-12-22.png

I need this function as I'm wanting to install driver files to a laptop computer in which has no motherboard drivers. Without these drivers I'm unable to install the drivers. I have downloaded the necessary drivers for the laptop but am unable to copy them to the dvd.

View attachment 84573 View attachment 84573

Hi JoBeard, Thanks for your prompt reply. I created the shortcut to the DVD to my desktop and followed your directions.
When the dvd device attempts to format using PowerISO program I get the message that it was unable to format the drive.I researched the error message learning this has to do with the ios program. I did the hash mds5 verify which checked out positive.
I am admitting to a bit of frustration, not something I'm proud to admit to. haha

View attachment 84573

I need this function as I'm wanting to install driver files to a laptop computer in which has no motherboard drivers. Without these drivers I'm unable to install the drivers. I have downloaded the necessary drivers for the laptop but am unable to copy them to the dvd.

*IF* you have ANY software that you've downloaded as DVD burning tools - - uninstall them. Win/7 doesn't need them and as you've seen, they make bad assumptions.

You can fix your problem by doing the following steps

• Right click on the Start button, then click on File Explorer.
  • On the left side of File Explorer, click This PC
  • Right click on the CD / DVD drive, then click Format.
  • On the Format window, select the specific options for the formatting, then click on Start.
  • A warning message will appear about deleting all data on the drive. To continue with the process, click OK. The CD / DVD will begin to format.

Back