How to organize bookmarks in IE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

I'm stuck with IE on my work computer.

Want to simply put individual bookmarks and folders in the sequence I want them in, most often used toward the top, instead of the default alphabetical sequence.

Tried to "organize" them, ended up fighting for 1/2 hour to get a folder I tried to move to the top of the list out of other folders, simply couldn't move it to a position inbetween 2 other folders.

Please tell me there's a way to do that. Firefox is so simple to organize, why can't IE be like that?

Thanks for any tips.

macx
In Internet Explorer they are called Favorites.

Organizing Your Internet Explorer Favorites

Click on the Favorites icon, then on the Organize Favorites button.
Select the New Folder button. Pick an intuitive name, such as "Favorite Blogs", and click Ok.
Now, select the Favorite you are wanting to organize, and click on the Move button.
Select the folder you want to move this Internet Explorer Favorite to, and click Ok.
The best way to keep your Favorites useable is to move the Favorite to a folder as soon as you want to add it.

Another way to organize your Favorites is:

Right-click on the Start option in your toolbar; then select Explore.
Select your Favorites folder from your hard drive. Mine was under Documents and Settings.
And get to organizin'. I find this way MUCH faster than doing it through Internet Explorer's semi-hokey method. You can organize folders, add new folders, and delete en masse.

How i do mine

Open My Computer and see if you can accomplish this,
as attached.This is where they are located.

Install Vista "Run" command

Click Start

In the blank area, just above Start. Right click on it, and select Properties
Select Customize, then select Advanced

Go through the list, and tick "Run Command"
Apply OK Ok

:p

Anyway, the original User has Xp

Run is correct

Name you Windows OS

I'm stuck with IE on my work computer.

Want to simply put individual bookmarks and folders in the sequence I want them in, most often used toward the top, instead of the default alphabetical sequence.

Tried to "organize" them, ended up fighting for 1/2 hour to get a folder I tried to move to the top of the list out of other folders, simply couldn't move it to a position inbetween 2 other folders.

Please tell me there's a way to do that. Firefox is so simple to organize, why can't IE be like that?

Thanks for any tips.
Thats where there organized in my XP C: drive.
Vista has never been mentioned.
It could be W98 for all i know.
:rolleyes:

macx
In Internet Explorer they are called Favorites.

Click on the Favorites icon, then on the Organize Favorites button.
Select the New Folder button. Pick an intuitive name, such as "Favorite Blogs", and click Ok.
Now, select the Favorite you are wanting to organize, and click on the Move button.
Select the folder you want to move this Internet Explorer Favorite to, and click Ok.
The best way to keep your Favorites useable is to move the Favorite to a folder as soon as you want to add it.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I know how to do that, but that isn't what I asked.

I want to arrange the folders in other than alphabetical order so I don't have to scroll all the way to bottom of the folder list to get to something I use frequently.

I tried Organize, then selecting and moving the folder, but it would not let the folder fit where I want it to inbetween 2 others, it would keep putting the folder I wanted to move into another folder. Not what I wanted.

Also, within a folder, I want to select my own sequence, not the alphabetical sequence.

OOPs

I did now.Same as me.
The ? as i see it is doing it with Internet Explorer,if so go here.
See attached.Is this where you find it hard ?
But confirm "bookmarks" if you don't mean Favorites.:confused:

Hi,
I've got a similar problem.
My favourites used to be in Documents\Favorites but IE is now looking for them in Documents/Favorites/Favorites
I have just upgrade to IE8.

I have moved my favourites (I'm English) from Favorites to Favorites/Favorites to circumvent the problem.

Can anyone advise why this is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back