How to set up file sharing between an xp and vista computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hello guys,

I'm using both my laptop and pc for work at the moment and its very inconvenient constantly copying files across. So the PC is on wired internet and has vista ultimate, the laptop has xp media center edition and is on wireless but both are on the same network. Now I want one folder and one folder only to be automatically synchronized as soon as the computer and laptop are both on at the same time... Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any replies:)

Korrupt

Well this is not exactly "synchronizing"
But how I do this, is

I share one folder, say on the XP machine, and give it a name like share or something.
Then I go to the Vista machine, locate the "share" folder over the network to the XP machine
Then just create a shortcut to it, on the Vista machine

:)

Therefore anything I do (add or remove) from that folder (which actually resides only on the XP machine) Will be seen exactly the same on both computers

Anyway it seems to work well ;)

Thanks for the reply, I was more hoping something that wouldn't need to be constantly connected to the network as I will obviously be using the laptop away from home...

Thanks for the idea though!

Korrupt

see this review of Allway Sync

there's also a version that can install on a USB Thumb drive which does not need
registry settings (ie it will work wherever the device is inserted).

No, it will not automatically sync upon launching and still requires the target device to
be mapped
(I complained about that to the developer; certainly should at least attempt automount imo)

I have the full version still running in trial mode and use it for automated backup/replication.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, thats true... Did reply to that thread about 3 years ago but I completely forgot about it! Back in the day!

korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back