How to set up SATA HD as slave to a ATA master?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm new to the forum so hello!

I have a problem trying to add a SATA HD to my current PC. The PC has a standard ATA HD on it which has XP installed and is set as the primary master, I want to add the SATA HD as the primary slave. The secondary master and slave are used by the DVD and the floppy. I connected the HD to one of the 2 SATA ports on the motherboard. But when in BIOS it doesn't see the new HD, only the old one. I use the auto detect but it couldn't find it. My boot order is hard drive, CD-Rom, then Floppy. How can I get the system to recognize the new HD?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bill

The master and slave concepts do not exist in the SATA world - just forget about that. You can add another hard drive and it will be enumerated before or after the IDE drives and that's it.

In BIOS, where did you look for the new detected HD? It will not be listed in the IDE hard drives list.

Make sure SATA is enabled in the BIOS. Connect the drive and see whether your OS sees the new drive.

Thanks for the reply.

My system does not see the new SATA HD at all, unless I looked at all the wrong places. I looked under the BIOS configuration and I saw 4 items: Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Seconday Slave, with the Primary Slave being empty, so I hit Enter on that one and in there I tried the auto detect and it came up empty. If there is no slave in SATA then I was barking up the wrong tree. If so then where should I look to see if the new HD is detected.

When you say enabling the SATA in BIOS, where do you do that? I tried to look for it last night but could not find it (it was 1am so my eyes could be failing on me).

Bill

A Sata cable and an IDE cable are 2 different Motherboard connections.
Sata for Sata only.1 for Primary,2 for Secondary Sata devices.
EIDE for IDE devices.

Provided you get the connections on the motherboard right, ensure your second HDD's jumper settings are correct.

Set it to slave or if that doesn't work, cable select.

There are no master/slave jumpers on SATA drives, because master/slave terms just don't apply here!

bc1016: By enabling SATA I meant the "PCI devices" or "integrated peripherals" menu or whatever you have in BIOS that lets you enable and disable different components. Make sure the SATA controller is enabled there.

Also, have you installed the drivers for your SATA controller in WIndows? DO you see the SATA controller in Device Manager? (It may be listed as a SCSI or an IDE controller too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back