now heres my current setup

1.25 gb ram
ati x300 se video card.
Intel Pentium 4 processor

and i decided to upgrade the ram and the video card to a

got a stick patriot 1gb ram
and a geforce 8400 gs video card.

will there be an fps change at all?

Yep those upgrades will increase the FPS you should be able to up the detail a bit as well with out loosing to much.

The boost in performance would be very large then, assuming the 8400 GS is a 128-bit variant. A 64-bit one will still increase performance, but to a lesser extent.

You should recognise a big increase fps wise, but still don't hope for anything to amazing as the 8400gs is quite a bad card + p4 could be throttled

The 128-bit 8400GS is quite a decent gaming card, basically being a lower-clocked 8500GT, making it a fantastic card for the price. The 64-bit edition is rubbish for gaming though.

Your CPU won't hold you back much, since the vast majority of games are more GPU-dependent, but a very fast card (i.e. anything above an 8600GTS) will cause the processor to hold you back from unleashing its full potential. Just keep that in mind in case you want to upgrade in the future.

You should recognise a big increase fps wise, but still don't hope for anything to amazing as the 8400gs is quite a bad card + p4 could be throttled

i beg to differ i can run many gmaes on all high settings and not have to worry about fps because its about 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back